Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good pair of gloves for cold weather (say +20 degrees F)? I've wasted more money on overclaimed gloves than I care to admit.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Check out this thread

Here in oregon I like the idea of warm and water proof. I've got a couple of fleece/thinsulate gloves that were cheap and work well in the cold (down to ~20F), but forget it in the wet. If waterproof isn't a must then your search should be easy. If waterproof is a requirement (and your on a budget) check out this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=471524

SS93

·
Off the back...
2,270 Posts
+20F isn't too bad, but I wouldn't waste money on the PI lobsters. They are not very warm. Try XC ski gloves - they usually have a windproof outer, and can keep your hands quite warm at those temps without being bulky. I have terribly cold hands, and I use the MEC Nanu lobsters. $40, and good to about 0F for most people.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
People react to temperatures in different ways. What works for one guy might not work for another. How you ride, makes a difference too: If going is easy, my fingers get cold; if I have to work hard to keep moving, my hands sweat in the lightest gloves.

·
Registered
47 Posts
For here in the UK our temps saw about -8C Over late December/Early Jan, I use Sealskinz Technical Winter MTB Gloves, sometimes with the liner addon. Hand's are warm :) I have used the gloves when skiing, they are seriously that warm... and pretty neat in comparison to ski gloves!

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
pinkrobe said:
+20F isn't too bad, but I wouldn't waste money on the PI lobsters. They are not very warm....
Interesting, I find the PI Lobsters are too warm, I can't use them until the temp drops below 20*F. I guess everyone's experience is different :)

·
...idios...
5,662 Posts
One thing that is often overlooked is the importance of putting warm hands into the gloves in the first place. Then. like with the rest of our clothing, layers is the best way to keep toasty. I use a pair of Icebreaker merino wool liners with North Face Pamir Windstopper gloves and it does me just fine. If you go with a liner/outer set-up, try a fitting with a size up from your usual for the outer gloves, as this will help prevent your hands getting cold from restricted blood flow.

·
Dinner for wolves
1,567 Posts
Mittens & wrist warmers

I use wool mittens with a thinsulate lining. GLoves, no matter how expensive or high tech, eventually let me down. $20 mittens from the surplus store do a far better job for me, even in the rain. Also, consider making wrist warmers out of old insulated socks (cut off toe box and cut a slit into the heel - practice on a non-essential sock first).

·
Off the back...
2,270 Posts
pursuiter said:
Interesting, I find the PI Lobsters are too warm, I can't use them until the temp drops below 20*F. I guess everyone's experience is different :)
True dat. My wife is the same way, riding in her normal mtn biking gloves down to 20F, then switching to some slightly warmer gloves until she goes to lobsters at 0F and below.

I'm still bitter at PI for charging so much for gloves with so little insulation. :nono:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Six Six One Storm Watch Gloves...Great glove...I also use them foe showshoeing down to 10 below. On the Bike down to 10 degrees (wind factor is the difference).

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
specialized sub zeros. they have a fairly warm liner + waterproof shell system that totally rocks. i'll run the liner down to about freezing, and the whole package below zero for a while. they rock, and are changing for next winter so buy some now before they gimp them. Our Specialized rep was in recently and showed us the new winter gear for next winter (already, i know, seriously) and it was basically a liner like they have now with a super thing waterproof nylon glove. looked like crap and didn't feel that warm.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I bought some marmot ski gloves from a discount store (tj max) for like $15. My hands have been comfortable down to 2F with a wind chill of much colder than 2F. I really think that letting your hands get used to the cold is much more important than the glove itself. Try to only wear gloves when on the bike, let them get cold the rest of the time. Think of it as training for your hands.
At the start of the winter my hands (and the rest of my body) would want to die when I rode in the cold. Now I'm fine in colder temperatures with the same clothing that I wore in the fall. Your body will adjust eventually

1 - 15 of 15 Posts