Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
today I tried to commute with my new Northwave 3 power gel (with a first layer of thin silk gloves) with a +2°C and +5°C temperatures (altitude difference of 350m along 10km) and my hands at half the ride were freezing with the initial loss of feeling in the extremities of the fingers! I was so disappointed cause I thought these gloves were more than enough for this ride weather :(
Of course the main cause of this is that downhill I can go up to 40km/h so cold air will pass.
Do you know if there exist any gloves <€50 that are suitable for these rides? Temps here can reach -10°C for weeks (even less but those days I don't think I will ride).

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I wear snowboard pipe gloves from burton. They have lasted 2 years no threads coming apart.

I wear these down to about -5c. If im out of the wind trail riding and have my heart rate up i can get away with -10c

I dont use poggies till -20c ish.

Then i go to my motorfist WOT gloves back from when i mountain sledded or some specialized element 3.0 mits -10 to -20c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,890 Posts
This or Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws. I have 3 sets of gloves. Lobster claws for the 32 F (0 C), 40 degrees (5C) I have a winter glove, but it's not as thick as the lobster claw, and for 50 F (10 C), I have a thinner glove similar to the Northwave posted above, but mine is windproof.

Oh yeah, I've had my gloves for about a decade with no signs of coming apart, etc. I've used them to dig trail, ride, and hike. Below gives you an idea about the 3 types of gloves I own. I did not compare any prices and I'm not affiliated with any of the sites posted below.

Loster claws on amazon

Pro Amfib glove

I have another pair of gloves similar to these, but mine are windproof, which is fantastic on the road.

Escape gloves

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
Pogies.

then you can use 'normal gloves' like PI cyclone. Pogies work insanely well. no more figuring out 'how fat a glove vs control vs the temps' you need, pogies do it.

and you can find cheap ones on amazon for under 20 bucks.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I still don't understand completely how they work so well, but they do.

As a secondary benefit, it's way easier to keep a thin pair of in-pogie liner gloves washed and dried when riding daily. Thick ski-type gloves take forever to dry.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,324 Posts
As stated above numerous times, pogies + anything from regular biking gloves to heavy Lobster claws, depending on temp.

I use 45NRTH Cobrafist pogies and rate them a perfect 10/10. They are warm though, and designed for truly cold weather riding (although they do have zipped vents for warmer days). They are also not inexpensive. There are lots of good options readily available for pogies.

I just bought a pair of Specialized Element 3.0 lobster gloves. On their own, they are good to about minus 8C. Lower than that and the pogies are necessary.

I run pogies all winter and choose my hand wear depending on temps. Wind is pretty much a non-factor with the pogies.

I will be reaching for the Specialized Element 3.0 gloves on most days. When it gets super cold, I have a pair of Black Diamond lobster gloves that are good to at least minus 20C on their own (and much colder temps with the Cobrafist pogies).

As others above do, I also carry a few chemical hand (and feet) warmers in my pack to increase options just in case I messed up on my glove choice.

TL;DR: pogies + lobster gloves + chemical hand warmers in your pack/pocket

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
Pogies, dogwood designs can be turned inside out and rolled up, so as your hands get warm, you can regulate the temp. Heavier gloves just kill my dexterity and my palm sweats while my fingers freeze, the glove always gets damp.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,324 Posts
I meant to add as well, my experience is that there is a noticeable difference in hand comfort when using a carbon bar (and carbon brake levers), but I get it - for the OP, this is likely a less bling winter commuter bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Another vote for the pogies/Bar Mitts.

I hate messing with gloves as I'm always misplacing them or can't find the particular pair I want. The pogies stay on the bike and I can ride even in 10-20F temps without any gloves whatsoever, which is also nice for commuting in non-bike clothing.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
My only complaint about the neoprene Bar-Mitts and the Aliexpress imitations (I have one of each) is how freakin huge they are.

If you want to take them off, they definitely won't fit in a jersey pocket, and will probably take up half of your pack. They're also big and floppy enough to cause sketchy no-handed riding on the road, particularly if you have studded tires.

I had a pair of thin MEC-branded pogies back in the day that were 80% the warmth with 20% the massive-ness but the cuffs didn't have enough rigidity for easy in-out while riding.

And yes, when I changed by carbon brake levers for aluminum last year, they definitely felt colder when winter came.

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
5,733 Posts
As others above do, I also carry a few chemical hand (and feet) warmers in my pack to increase options just in case I messed up on my glove choice.

TL;DR: pogies + lobster gloves + chemical hand warmers in your pack/pocket

I carry handwarmers mainly for the flat or other trail repair where you need your fingers and they end up freezing on you, a few packs of handwarmers is a game changer getting repairs sorted out sub-freezing. also carry a lighter and tinder in case I have unplanned extended downtime...get a fire going if no other options are present and true survival skills need to come about

Reactions: thegock

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Insulated work gloves like Kincos are only about $20. They keep me warm to about 20F/-7C when I'm outside skiing all day and a bit colder while bike commuting for about 30 minutes. If you're on a budget they're worth considering.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks all!
I think I'll stick with regular gloves if I have to ride with pogies I'd rather take the bus really...

My Northwave are also waterproof and windproof (or they say).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Insulated work gloves like Kincos are only about $20. They keep me warm to about 20F/-7C when I'm outside skiing all day and a bit colder while bike commuting for about 30 minutes. If you're on a budget they're worth considering.
Can you post a link?
Yes I'm on a budget for this season so any cheap but warm lobster glove would be fine, my commute is 20-30 minutes.

And how do you deal with cold wind in the face for those very cold days? I have a face mask that works for now but I'm pretty sure it won't work for those days where you are around -10°C.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wear snowboard pipe gloves from burton. They have lasted 2 years no threads coming apart.

I wear these down to about -5c. If im out of the wind trail riding and have my heart rate up i can get away with -10c

I dont use poggies till -20c ish.

Then i go to my motorfist WOT gloves back from when i mountain sledded or some specialized element 3.0 mits -10 to -20c

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can you also post a link to those gloves?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,324 Posts
...if I have to ride with pogies I'd rather take the bus really...
I suspect we are not on the same page. I suspect you are not on the same page with most who have responded in this thread. That’s cool though.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts