Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is everyone's favorite winter gear for riding in cold (35-45 degree) weather?

Main things I'm looking for are the brand, model, and why you like it. Main things I'm personally interested in are full fingered gloves that leave dexterity to operate gears and brakes, something for the ears, probably not full hat as I get hot very easily, but my ears freeze, and also, what insulating layer does everyone like?

Thanks and good messaging!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Xao said:
What is everyone's favorite winter gear for riding in cold (35-45 degree) weather?

Main things I'm looking for are the brand, model, and why you like it. Main things I'm personally interested in are full fingered gloves that leave dexterity to operate gears and brakes, something for the ears, probably not full hat as I get hot very easily, but my ears freeze, and also, what insulating layer does everyone like?

Thanks and good messaging!
Pearl Izumi barrier jacket , warm & light
sixsixone gloves
silk balaclava not sure of the brand, can be worn as a hat or full face coverage or if its too hot , stuff it in your pocket
poly pro long underwear top, poly pro tee, if its real cold poly pro sweat shirt
Pearl Izumi tri flex tights , extra layers on crotch, knees and thighs and zippered ankles
ski pants if real cold
lake winter shoes, warm, dry and solid
regular summer socks , don't need anything more with the shoes

thats all I wear for winter in NH its good down to low teens as long as you keep moving

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I'm using thin wool gloves under my fingerless summer gloves and my hands are pretty happy, neoprene booties keep the toes toasty. I've been using a coolmax top under a shortsleeve jersey, but never warmed up on my last ride. I'm thinking a fleece vest might do the trick.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I went riding the other day when the temp was in the lower 20's. I wore tights, hooded sweatshirt with a long sleve jersey underneath and fullfinger gloves with liners. It wasnt very windy so i stayed pretty warm.

·
Registered
66 Posts
in 35-45 degree weather....

long sleve jersey base layer
long sleve freeride jersey over that
Windstopper vest that I take on/off depending on comfort level
tights
baggy shorts
"heavier" socks
the same full finger gloves I wear all year

·
Registered
37 Posts
winter clothing

For the ears I use the 180 ear muffs, Just to keep the ears warm. No hat at those temps I would over heat, I wear a Gore windstopper Jacket, Under Armor long sheeve shirt. Below 32 I will throw on a jersey. Smart Wool socks, Sealskins over them if there are any creek crossings. I have been using Answer's winter shoe but they have not been working out too well.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
No....

Xao said:
Anyone use Sugoi basebloc or their firewall gloves?
No I don't but the basebloc is likely overkill for your version of cold weather. In temps above 32 degrees, I wear a PI medium weight long sleeved jersey and a PI lightweight jacket with zip off arms. If the sun is shining, I can take off the jacket. If it's overcast, I can wear the jacket with or without the arms and meter my comfort.

Knickers for the bottom. Wool socks and PI Amfib gloves or my regular riding gloves, depending on the sun, temp, etc.

Ken

·
life is a barrel o'fun
2,502 Posts
Tonight it was around 30 degrees, so a Pearl Izumi long-sleeve base layer; Moving Comfort turtleneck poly/lycra blend type deal; thick New Balance fleece; breathable jacket.

Tights and cotton sweatpants, also bike socks with sock liner over them and Gaitor booties over the shoes. Breathable hat under helmet, bandana around nose/mouth. Gloves of course.

The jacket and sweatpants were supposed to be for before/after the ride, but as usual, I get comfy and don't want to remove them.

·
a.k.a.-Cranial Disharmony
238 Posts
35-45, I ride with regular clothes but throw in a long sleeve jersey.

15-35, I ride with a regular pair of bike shorts, an old pair of excersice pants that drawstring at the ankle, leg armor over that. Peal Izumi jacket, standard FF gloves (my hands are always warm enough), a light fleece balaclava if it's absurdly cold and/or windy.

Oh yea, I take 10psi out of my tires and put them into my shocks :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
When it's 30-40: base t shirt with summer jersey over it with arm warmers covered by medium-weight longsleeve jersey. Peal Izumi Thermafleece tights (these seem to be good by themselves down to at least 30). Either my regular FF gloves or wamer winter gloves if there's a lot of wind. No hat or anything, maybe a thicker pair of socks than normal.

The other day I did a 15 mile road ride in 16 degree temps. I had on:

-PI facemask (most of the time I had it pushed up above my mouth, as I felt I didnt' really need it.
-T shirt and arm warmers under medium weight long sleeve jersey
-PI Barrier jacket (insanely warm! - had it zipped half way down going up hills)
- Fila Thinsulate Gloves (my hands were actually too hot)
-Supergo Tights w/ chamois
-PI thermafleece tights over the Supergos

And two pair of socks and my regular Specialized Sport shoes with PI AmFib toe warmers over the front.

I was sweaty by the time I got home. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.