Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK a bit of a cheat as this is also on Passion but I thought my AZ buddies might enjoy something a bit different.

After a very wet autumn and weeks of biking lost to too much work it has been a great holiday break in the UK coinciding with some cold frosty weather to harden up the ground. Several days of freezing mist followed by a couple of sunny days has been pure magic - for riding and the winter wonderland effect of the frost coating everything. I have ridden most days this week but only got my camera goung the last couple of days.

Yesterday afternoon I went up to Llaneglwys Woods near Brecon (Wales) to look at the trails built there by the local MTB club. Unfortunately the trails have been trashed by motorcycles but I spent a couple of hours exploring and freezing my fingers off playing with the camera whilst enjoying the spectacular light effects;

The sun starts to shift the last of the mist in the car park

Hoar frost on everything

Normally very dark in young plantations - not so dark today

Sunny side of the hill just before dusk - backlit woods

Further down the track - touch of coloured sunlight

Freezing cold on the shady side of the hill!

Quite close to the real colour for once

Moody skyline at dusk - Brecon Beacons on the skyline

Last gasp of the sun - and a very cold descent back to the car

Today was a whole nother thing - rock hard frost overnight and brilliant sunshine from the get go - perfect for some fun in the Black Mountains. These comprise an east west escarpment and ridgeline with a series of long valleys and ridges extending to the south. We did a short but high octane loop at the extreme east end, away from our normal playground.

The next ridge to the west of us - not snow but very heavy hoar frost

Up the icy bank and......

......hard left over the frozen stream on slick ice....very carefully and very straight!

Near the top of the climb - a rare sight this blue stuff - what is it?!

Cheeky little singletrack clings to the hillside - great fun this

Crossing the moorland - cold breeze up here but fabulaous views

Views off the escarpment

Nearing the final ridgeline descent - no need for rose tinted specs here!

Further down and below the sunline - the first of a series of rocky step downs before the crazy steep end of the hill

Another fine sunset numbs the fingers as we load the car up and the temparature plumments again

After a day like this the weeks of wet dull darkness are swept aside, although probably only for a very short time. Somehow intense cold is so much more bearable if there is sunlight and I take that over wet and warm anyday:thumbsup:

Even better is the prospect of making the Arizona Spring Fling this year:cool:

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Those are amazing photos, Graham! Wow, the backlit wood, the frost on the berries, the third from the last with the rose sunset on the ridge...beautiful! Thanks for posting those up for us desert dwellers to gawk at!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Awesome shots there, Graham. I can remember EXACTLY how cold that stuff is to ride in. Biting cold, absolutely biting. But fantastically rewarding to ride in too - especially when you get back have a hot shower/bath, get the feeling back in your fingers, hands, arms, toes, feet and legs and replace the lost energy with a hearty meal and a bevy or two :)

Still not sure I'm chomping at the bit to get on a plane back there though ;-)

Hopefully catch up with you on the SF - I'm keeping my fingers crossed for getting up for a ride or two.

·
Brit on a trip
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"I'm envious in many ways"

Ha ha - you guys have definitely got the best of it at this time of year:p

"replace the lost energy with a hearty meal and a bevy or two"

No need to wait that long - home made Christmas cake is the food of riding gods. I am missing my little pack flask though (the seal has failed) - hot chocolate or coffee is just the ticket and this is the time of year to be packing rum in the hip flask. Oops, better not start another drinking on rides thread;) - but hey, its totally justified and necessary for survival when it is this cold:thumbsup:

·
Salty Dog
366 Posts
As one squirrel said to the other, "I think my nuts are frozen"

Yikes, some very awesome and inspiring shots.

Some of the landscape reminds me of riding in Fruita, Colorado...

Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'd take that over AZ any day. I suffer from a disease called " Hot dry brown dusty depression " I love AZ winters but summers are an eternity.
BTW I'm no Noob to snow I'm a Michigan transplant. I'd happily go back there if Michigan had anything going for it right now plus there winters are an eternity.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.