Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your attention to detail is really admirable on this stunt but I dont think you should cut the tree. I find it more rewarding to use what the landscape has given you and tailor the trail to the terrain and not the other way around.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
tahoegold said:
Choose you line carefully so you dont have to cut more than necessary!:nono:

I wish the tree didn't need to go, but there's really no way around it. I knew from the get go it was going to be a tight fit. My building partner insisted we could ride through it, but once it was up, it became rather evident it wasn't gonna work. No other lumberjack activities are planned other than that single tree, the rest of the line works really well.

The top of the run is actually pretty cool. There's a giant oak that toppled over recently that we're going to use to set some stunts up on.

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
extend the take off so you're past the tree at launch?

Then you can snake past the tree and not be worried about clipping your shoulder setting up for flight.

And maybe move it as close as possible to the opposite tree, every inch counts...

·
maker of trail
2,008 Posts
Maybe its just that our terrain is super hard to work with, but I see so much open space in there I find it hard to believe there is not a better line there lol

·
Banned
165 Posts
Berkley said:
That's a pretty big tree to cut down. Could ultimately end up with some real erosion.

Moosey and Smurf, take note: this is how non-janky things are made.
Uhh Berkley take note, if you gave us some cash to buy some decent wood then we wouldnt build janky stuff..

·
Big Gulps, Alright!
3,223 Posts
PapaSmurf99 said:
Uhh Berkley take note, if you gave us some cash to buy some decent wood then we wouldnt build janky stuff..
You can get scrap wood for pennies on the dollar. Check Home Depot/Lowe's and/or any local lumber yards. They have stuff they'll sell dirt cheap because it isn't up to standards for sale (usually blemished or something like that) but is perfectly good for building jumps.

·
Glad to Be Alive
42,996 Posts
Haus Boss said:
I wish the tree didn't need to go, but there's really no way around it. I knew from the get go it was going to be a tight fit. My building partner insisted we could ride through it, but once it was up, it became rather evident it wasn't gonna work. No other lumberjack activities are planned other than that single tree, the rest of the line works really well.

The top of the run is actually pretty cool. There's a giant oak that toppled over recently that we're going to use to set some stunts up on.
do not cut trees....that is rule 1 in building....drift ladder to left and make drop higher or go to the side of the tree

·
Registered
291 Posts
to avoid cutting that tree you could turn it into a slight hip jump that banks to the right looking at the jump, That way the rider's body is more parallel with the trees and thus less tight.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Now that everyone has given me their $.02, how bout someone else post some of the fruits of their recent labor.

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
it just snowed a buncha inches down here and i got finals tomorrow... Hahaha I'm Studying (i actually am) so maybe over break i'll get something built. Little rumor has been going around that im going to buy a new bike in a few days. Oh, and just because i'm super bored im going to northstar on thursday... it wont be the same as the summer...

by the way, i dont reccomend riding rock gardens when they are completely covered in 6 inches of snow. they tend to become slippery. I can now see the muscles in my knuckles :)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Nice crossing! I have a natural, no ramps project going on like .2 miles from my front door. If ya wanna learn, ya gotta build!!!!!

·
Registered
457 Posts
William42 said:
pepper, that looks absolutely rad. Super fun dip for the beginner intermediate riders, and a smooth easy gap for the faster more experienced riders. Well built stunt. Looks like it would be sick to manual across and pump the bike side.

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with it. Our local trees don't split up very nice and am still refining my slat making skills a bit to suit our trees.

Alas the trail leading to this bridge does not really allow speed to gap the bridge. Too bad as the angles would be spot on for it. Pumping it sure is fun thou. Grip is excellent too.

More shots in the coming days of a sweet new drop I'm working on :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
tls36 said:
Nice crossing! I have a natural, no ramps project going on like .2 miles from my front door. If ya wanna learn, ya gotta build!!!!!

some recent additions to our local hang out...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts