Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently built up a dedicated snow bike... Surly 1x1 with gears and fat rims/tires (couldn't afford a Pugsley). Snow riding is awesome - give it a try if you're lucky enough to have snow. Getting motivated to actually go is the hardest part, but you won't regret it once you do.

It's reached the point where I feel bad for people that live places that don't get snow in winter. Here are some pics:

Branch Twig Automotive tire Winter Monochrome photography

Branch Twig Bicycle accessory Winter Freezing

Nature Branch Winter Slope Atmosphere

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle accessory Winter Bicycle Bicycle part

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Monochrome photography Rim

Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim

Branch Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tread Twig

Winter Automotive tire Branch Freezing Bicycle tire

Tire Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Automotive wheel system

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Winter Bicycle wheel rim

More pics and stuff here.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
What wheels and tires are you running on your 1x1? How much did it cost to have them built up? This may be the answer (albeit SS for me) to my winter riding dilemma.

·
Currently in Exile
2,303 Posts
jollybeggar said:
Could you give us the details (specs) of the build. Wheels? Tires size? Hubs? Would this set up work with other 26" frames and suspension forks?
Not that many IMHO. The Surly's are built with extra wide stays on the frame to accomodate wider tires. I don't think that you would be able to squeeze those tires into most XC suspension forks. And my first instict is that most XC oriented frames aren't going to fit those wide tires either. If you have an AM/freeride bike, you might be able to swing it as they are built for wider treads.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Frozenspokes said:
What wheels and tires are you running on your 1x1? How much did it cost to have them built up?
It's got:
- Surly Large Marge rims; non-offset version
- Kenda Nevegal tires; 2.7 in front and 2.5 in rear
- Deore hubs (tight budget).

I built the wheels myself and I get a shop employee discount, so cost for me was pretty low. I'm more about quantity than quality when it comes to bikes. I would guess that regular retail for one built wheel would be around $250 (w/o tire).

When I was deciding what to do for a snow bike, I figured I had 4 options (listed in order of cost):
1) Buy a Pugsley frame and build it up myself.
2) Buy a 1x1 frame, Large Marge rims, and DH tires.
3) Buy a Pugsley 100mm fork, Large Marge rim and Endomorph tire for front of my old hardtail frame. Run the fattest rear tire my chainstays would allow.
4) Buy a Surly 1x1 fork, Large Marge rim and DH tire for front of my old hardtail frame. Run the fattest rear tire my chainstays would allow.

Eventually, I'd like to get a 100mm Pug fork and an Endomorph tire. Like 29ers, a lot of the advantages of having fat rims/tires are in the front.

·
Bike Fiend
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jollybeggar said:
Would this set up work with other 26" frames and suspension forks?
Like Frozenspokes said, not many - maybe some freeride/DJ frames and some 29ers (Kona Unit 2-9?). One of the problems with a 29er frame is that you'll probably end up with a low BB height. I would have considered/researched frames from Transition and Sinister if I had more $$ for a frame.

I went into some more detail regarding the overall build here.

The only suspension fork I've seen that fits a Large Marge rim is the Maverick SC32. On the Large Marge rim, the 2.7 Nevegal runs about 75mm at its widest point.

Searching the Alaska forums and Surly forums (and some posts in the Turner forums) here on mtbr can give you a lot of info on snow bikes.

·
hehe ...you said "member"
1,121 Posts
great post/pics. Inspires me to get out and ride more in the cold. I've ordered some winter riding shoes, just waiting for them to come.

Question: upside-down bottle? does this keep it from freezing at the valve?

·
Live, Freeze, and Ride
315 Posts
Question: upside-down bottle? does this keep it from freezing at the valve?
Answer: yup ice floats, it works, at least for awhile, depending on the temperature

·
plasma donor
754 Posts
That's a NICE setup. I never would have thought to try gearing a 1X1. I haven't ridden a Endomorph, but my (limited) experience riding on snow, I'd prefer the more aggressive tread you're rockin with that setup. I haven't tried studded tires yet either. I really like the idea of having an all-season bike, where swapping wheels leaves you good to go as conditions demand. I've tried to winterbike my Giant, but I think it's too limited with tire size to put much effort into it. My 2.4 rubs as it is.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
mplsmtb said:
It's reached the point where I feel bad for people that live places that don't get snow in winter. Here are some pics:
Cool pics and an even cooler ride, but don't lose any sleep over people that don't get snow.

I ride my bikes daily... Today was no different than most in which I rode 15 miles in shorts and flip flops, ate outside twice, and will sleep with the windows open.

I'm glad you're having fun in the snow, but you can have it my friend. To each their own. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
425 Posts
All the bikes shown here have flat pedals. Does that help in the cold weather to keep your feet warm ? I always have cold feet when riding in below zero C. I 've read that cleats are acting as a coldbridge.
PS : Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my first language.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
JeffSkisMontana said:
Thinking of buying studded tires....which one did you get?
I pickes up the Schwalbe Ice Spikers from a new store that was opening in the area (Mountain Equipment Co-op). The price scared me, but the first ride put thoes fears to rest.
They just grip to the ice.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
dmx1 said:
All the bikes shown here have flat pedals. Does that help in the cold weather to keep your feet warm ? I always have cold feet when riding in below zero C. I 've read that cleats are acting as a coldbridge.
PS : Sorry if my English is bad, it's not my first language.
I ues flat prdals in the winter beacuse I can't get heavy socks in my clipless shoes. I hate my feet being cold. I use skatebord shoes with no open mesh.
I have heard great things about some on the cold weather clipless shoes, but I spent so much money on the tires, that new shoes will have to wait.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.