Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I heard rumours that Albion may be investing in a fleet of KTrak equipped rental bikes for some winter riding fun. KTrak being that neat winter bike accessory with a ski mounted on the fork and a belt drive system for the rear wheel.

Now that would be uber cool for your winter riding pleasure :thumbsup:

Suddenly, the single-track will become really challenging, especially the off camber switchbacks.

Sorry gmonster......I don't believe they have a single-speed version......

Tuesday night race series anyone??

·
mostbrokenestscaphoidever
228 Posts
for real?

singlesprocket said:
it's up there with cross country snowboarding...

that looks like alot of work, I'd be exhausted after a 1/2 hour!:eek:

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
singlesprocket said:
it's up there with cross country snowboarding...
And so is regular riding in 2 feet or more of snow :rolleyes:

·
Registered
32 Posts
We will be renting ktracks units at Albion Hills this winter. We are waiting for the fleet to arrive from Caledon Hills Cycling. You will be able to use one on an opus mikah or with your own bike.

We have been in talks with ktracks for over a year. We have had a prototype for most of the summer. The last years model was not suitable for cross country, only downhill. The 2010 ktracks will be suitable for cross country and we will be laying one set of tracks on our black loop for these units.

Singlesproket, give us a chance! All i read from you is how bad of a job we are doing. I am sorry you feel that way but I promise we are trying! Albion Hills has a great relationship with mountain bikers and we want to grow that relationship with new and exciting ideas!. I have personally been to many trail meetings this year, over the next few months $100K will be spent on the trail systems at Albion (Already started, check out the start area).

Some very exciting stuff is yet to come!

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
and out of the blue...

albion hills has relationship with some mtbers, but not all mountain bikers and residents
of the area. you would be surprised how many people in town of bolton are unaware of where to ride their bikes. you mention that you attended many trail meetings, yet why has the public/residents not been made aware of these meetings and have the opportunity to attend? have these meetings been posted in accessible public place? have you liaised with caledon town council and ceac? where can the minutes of these meetings be found? please state the dates and times of the next meetings?

you allude of more to come... why such a secret when other trail projects are open process that involves the public?

anyway... i'm not expecting any answers based on past actions... i must say the placement of the billboard on the south bound lane of highway 427 (by rexdale) asking people to visit albion hills is kinda ironic...

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
Hey Canuck

just ignore this individual. Based on reliable sources, conversing with a wild donkey at the Toronto ZOO is way more sensible and yields some results. So don't bother...

On the other hand - please post from time to time on this board about what you guys are doing at Albion Hills and word of mouth will make sure that everyone else knows... No need to pay for any billboards or other ways of commercial advertising. Better spend that money on the trails...

In today's Intraweb age - if someone is incapable of using Google to search for available options when it comes to anything, not just riding their bikes - they have much bigger issues than just not knowing where to ride. Just shows how valid biatching and complaining on the part of this individual (on "behalf" of others) is. So again - don't bother even starting the debate, let alone be defensive about what you guys and gals do.

Thanks for maintaining the trails and keeping this trail system one of the best in Ontario. Other than singlesprocket and an odd turkey here and there, we much appreciate your efforts...

Canuck_2005 said:
We will be renting ktracks units at Albion Hills this winter. We are waiting for the fleet to arrive from Caledon Hills Cycling. You will be able to use one on an opus mikah or with your own bike.

We have been in talks with ktracks for over a year. We have had a prototype for most of the summer. The last years model was not suitable for cross country, only downhill. The 2010 ktracks will be suitable for cross country and we will be laying one set of tracks on our black loop for these units.

Singlesproket, give us a chance! All i read from you is how bad of a job we are doing. I am sorry you feel that way but I promise we are trying! Albion Hills has a great relationship with mountain bikers and we want to grow that relationship with new and exciting ideas!. I have personally been to many trail meetings this year, over the next few months $100K will be spent on the trail systems at Albion (Already started, check out the start area).

Some very exciting stuff is yet to come!

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
Canuck_2005 said:
The 2010 ktracks will be suitable for cross country and we will be laying one set of tracks on our black loop for these units.
Refresh my memory, the Black loop is the one that's also groomed for skating right? That would be pretty challenging on a KTrac! :eek:

I'd be very interested to give it a try when the snow finally shows up. :)

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
nice osokolo... I couldn't come up with a better exclusionary example then the statement you made below...:rolleyes:

The issue is about building stewardship and communicating information to the general community as a whole. Word of mouth does not cut it, nor does just posting here. It sets a very poor example and it is exclusionary in nature as it only informs one small segiment of a user group/groups. It is far better to be open as a group and lead by example (using as many media sources as you can).

Any way I took a look at the 2009/2010 budget/expenditures and could not find where the funding/estimated funding for all these projects are listed. Of course i'm not an accountant and would like some help (anyone?) in clarifying/understanding where it is listed in the financial statement.
http://trca.on.ca/dotAsset/62886.pdf though it may be rolled over into the 2010 budget/expenditures due to the date or placed in something else.

One thing that I did find was projections of vistors/divisions 2009 was 700'000 vs actual of 200'000... wow, even for a rainy summer/economic troubles that's still way off the mark. I would say the projections for 2010 450'000-500'000 is also a bit optimistic. Though one might be able to say that there really was that many user divisions, but they are undocumented. In other words unable to pay user fee's, etc. With a gta population of 5.5 million who knows how high that number really is. Of course my math may be way off and I totally don't understand the numbers.

And lastly which is kinda sad... new greenspace acquisition budget 2010... 87'000

osokolo said:
Hey Canuck

just ignore this individual. Based on reliable sources, conversing with a wild donkey at the Toronto ZOO is way more sensible and yields some results. So don't bother...

On the other hand - please post from time to time on this board about what you guys are doing at Albion Hills and word of mouth will make sure that everyone else knows... No need to pay for any billboards or other ways of commercial advertising. Better spend that money on the trails...

In today's Intraweb age - if someone is incapable of using Google to search for available options when it comes to anything, not just riding their bikes - they have much bigger issues than just not knowing where to ride. Just shows how valid biatching and complaining on the part of this individual (on "behalf" of others) is. So again - don't bother even starting the debate, let alone be defensive about what you guys and gals do.

Thanks for maintaining the trails and keeping this trail system one of the best in Ontario. Other than singlesprocket and an odd turkey here and there, we much appreciate your efforts...

·
Looking for Adventure
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
singlesprocket said:
and out of the blue...

albion hills has relationship with some mtbers, but not all mountain bikers and residents
of the area. you would be surprised how many people in town of bolton are unaware of where to ride their bikes. you mention that you attended many trail meetings, yet why has the public/residents not been made aware of these meetings and have the opportunity to attend? have these meetings been posted in accessible public place? have you liaised with caledon town council and ceac? where can the minutes of these meetings be found? please state the dates and times of the next meetings?

you allude of more to come... why such a secret when other trail projects are open process that involves the public?

anyway... i'm not expecting any answers based on past actions... i must say the placement of the billboard on the south bound lane of highway 427 (by rexdale) asking people to visit albion hills is kinda ironic...
Heh, just to let you know, nobody really cares what the people of Bolton think. The population is too insignificant to matter. Albion Hills caters to the entire GTA, not just Bolton.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
there is a concrete action taken by Hamilton/Halton mountainbikers:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=568084

you do not have a single post in that thread. I am wondering why? Nothing to biatch and complain, though I am sure you can always find something, regardless how retarded it is.

But ignore my estimation - tell me why you didn't post anything on that subject and help our MTB brethren in Hamilton area? Yet you ride your high white horse around here and give unsolicited advices to people or groups that ACTUALLY do something about the trails we ride...

If money has to be spent in Bolton to let people know about biking trails 10km to the north of the city - then that money better be spent in the GTA where the exposure is much higher than in Bolton. Though I still think that those that WANT to find the area to ride their bikes - will find it no matter what, and it will not be the billboards or public advertising that costs money...

singlesprocket said:
nice osokolo... I couldn't come up with a better exclusionary example then the statement you made below...:rolleyes:

The issue is about building stewardship and communicating information to the general community as a whole. Word of mouth does not cut it, nor does just posting here. It sets a very poor example and it is exclusionary in nature as it only informs one small segiment of a user group/groups. It is far better to be open as a group and lead by example (using as many media sources as you can).

Any way I took a look at the 2009/2010 budget/expenditures and could not find where the funding/estimated funding for all these projects are listed. Of course i'm not an accountant and would like some help (anyone?) in clarifying/understanding where it is listed in the financial statement.
http://trca.on.ca/dotAsset/62886.pdf though it may be rolled over into the 2010 budget/expenditures due to the date or placed in something else.

One thing that I did find was projections of vistors/divisions 2009 was 700'000 vs actual of 200'000... wow, even for a rainy summer/economic troubles that's still way off the mark. I would say the projections for 2010 450'000-500'000 is also a bit optimistic. Though one might be able to say that there really was that many user divisions, but they are undocumented. In other words unable to pay user fee's, etc. With a gta population of 5.5 million who knows how high that number really is. Of course my math may be way off and I totally don't understand the numbers.

And lastly which is kinda sad... new greenspace acquisition budget 2010... 87'000

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
i see you are following your "m.o." with the personal attacks and lies :nono: ... yup, halton/hamilton mountainbikers... they have their own problems dealing with the http://www.escarpment.org/home/index.php and the bta. but since i don't live or ride there it is hard to contribute beyond attending a commission meeting, filling out a petition,
and supporting imba. the escarpment has some pretty gnarly trails i've heard :thumbsup:

interesting your views on the local stakeholders once again :rolleyes: and about totally missing the concept of "community stewardship"... though sadly you aren't the only one that holds these views for whatever motives (pride, selfishness, greed, ignorance, fear, politics, etc). the best trail systems (formal/informal) i've ridden on has used "community stewardship" as the keystone concept in the construction, maintenance, and growth of the trails. i hope the trail builders keep building these trails :p

insert new osokolo bile here in 1-2-3...

osokolo said:
there is a concrete action taken by Hamilton/Halton mountainbikers:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=568084

you do not have a single post in that thread. I am wondering why? Nothing to biatch and complain, though I am sure you can always find something, regardless how retarded it is.

But ignore my estimation - tell me why you didn't post anything on that subject and help our MTB brethren in Hamilton area? Yet you ride your high white horse around here and give unsolicited advices to people or groups that ACTUALLY do something about the trails we ride...

If money has to be spent in Bolton to let people know about biking trails 10km to the north of the city - then that money better be spent in the GTA where the exposure is much higher than in Bolton. Though I still think that those that WANT to find the area to ride their bikes - will find it no matter what, and it will not be the billboards or public advertising that costs money...

·
Evil Jr.
6,859 Posts
An ad hominem argument, also known as argumentum ad hominem (Latin: "argument toward the person" or "argument against the person") is an argument which links the validity of a premise to an irrelevant characteristic or belief of the person advocating the premise.
:yawn:

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
nice... so contributing/belonging to an advocacy organisation, attending meetings, and signing pro mtb petitions for an area is construed by you as:
osokolo said:
you don't ride there so fcuk them...
i wish everyone would do the above (not the quote), it would help immensely with trail advocacy...

how does the old saying go... act local, think global. i think you need to reflect on that.

·
sock puppet
8,104 Posts
yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah...

don't be defensive, just admit you are a hypocrite, among other things... Even Lenin could learn something from you. All talk no walk, with the exception of some gnoming in the Don and building jumps where someone will break their neck and cause the Don trail to be closed to all mountain bikers. I am in no way opposed to freeriding, but am concerned that any freeriding outside of commercial parks, particularly on the government land, may and will lead to injuries and potential closures.

However, barbecuing bacon and eggs at the Don is strongly recommended and encouraged and still within your abilities.

Now if you would please slow down with your communist speeches and do some good for MTB community quietly, that would be much appreciated.

·
humber river advocate
6,395 Posts
still with the low brow insults...

ahhhh so you are an admitted trail nazi...:thumbsup: you are doing a good job of alienating a large segiment of the mtb community. all the more reason to have community stewardship as a corner stone for formal/informal trail management plan to prevent such hostilties as you have shown ;) . it also shows that the current formal management plan is not working in all areas. by driving these claimed activities further underground you will not prevent them (as is proven pretty much everywhere). as a matter of fact it will cause these activities to multiply (atv's are a perfect example). a little community tolerance (which you seem to be lacking) will go a long way.

osokolo said:
yada, yada, yada, blah, blah, blah...

don't be defensive, just admit you are a hypocrite, among other things... Even Lenin could learn something from you. All talk no walk, with the exception of some gnoming in the Don and building jumps where someone will break their neck and cause the Don trail to be closed to all mountain bikers. I am in no way opposed to freeriding, but am concerned that any freeriding outside of commercial parks, particularly on the government land, may and will lead to injuries and potential closures.

However, barbecuing bacon and eggs at the Don is strongly recommended and encouraged and still within your abilities.

Now if you would please slow down with your communist speeches and do some good for MTB community quietly, that would be much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts