Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a Santa Cruz Nickel for 6 months and it's the best bike I've ridden, so I love it, but the thought of riding it in the rain, mud, slime, slush, snow, crap etc etc makes me shudder. Not because I don't think the bearings will hold up or anything, because I'm sure they'd be fine, but because it feels a bit like sacrilege thinking about the extra abuse bikes endure during this kind of riding.

I have an Orange P7 with a nice Reynolds steel frame and a 1x9 (soon to be 1 x 10) XT setup that should be perfect for the winter's riding and if I'm honest it would mean that it finally gets a look in as I rarely choose to ride it when the Nickel is hanging there looking at me! I'm planning on starting to ride at night, so I've ordered a set of Ay-Up! V4 Adventure lights ready for this.

So how many of you have a bike that you ride more in the winter do you think it's a good idea? I'm still planning on getting my SC fix by taking it to trail centres as generally speaking in the UK they just aren't as filthy as our local woods and the moors. :)

·
...a wiggle theres a way
214 Posts
i have two bad weather bikes.
one i use as the daily commuter its a raleigh rx 1.0 (cross bike) equipped with fenders and a rack it does a good job in the rain, and snow.
for days when its icey i have an old specialized (might retire it this year) with Nokian Freddy's revenge studded tires that i use. I just got a surly big dummy this year and will more then likely use this bike for winter commuting.

Things i'd suggest if you ride in the winter - clean your chain once a week and your cassette, and if you have serviceable bottom brackets re-grease them (depending on miles logged) every two to four weeks (or when they start squeaking)

good luck enjoy the ride (its addictive!!!)
joe

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
A couple of winter duty bikes here, road and mtb. They salt the roads here, so a beater for the winter.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help guys, I think rather than buy another new bike I'd rather ride the Orange during the winter and take care of it like Wiggy said, it will be easier and less painful than having to worry about all the moving parts in my full suspension bike!

I am planning on swapping the Orange for a Santa Cruz Highball at some point but I will get the worst of the winter out of the way first! :)

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Yes and no

So how many of you have a bike that you ride more in the winter do you think it's a good idea?
Interesting question, and I must admit that on my flat bar hybrid/road bike, I take off the carbon fiber cockpit, SRAM X0 triggers and R/D and my "summer wheelset", and replace them with a Thomson cockpit, SRAM X9 triggers and RD, and my "winter wheelset" (which has 37mm tires with a pretty significant tread). I also plan to put fenders on this year. As for my mountain bike, I'm not particular since it's being ridden in less than optimal conditions regardless of time of year.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Interesting question, and I must admit that on my flat bar hybrid/road bike, I take off the carbon fiber cockpit, SRAM X0 triggers and R/D and my "summer wheelset", and replace them with a Thomson cockpit, SRAM X9 triggers and RD, and my "winter wheelset" (which has 37mm tires with a pretty significant tread). I also plan to put fenders on this year. As for my mountain bike, I'm not particular since it's being ridden in less than optimal conditions regardless of time of year.
That's interesting, I was considering taking off my carbon Sixc bars off as well, what's your reasoning behind this just out of interest?...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.