Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while i havnt posted but now i got a question: I like to ride in the snow, its pretty fun. But im not sure on the maintenance i should do after the ride. Like should i leave it outside in the shed or is it better to bring it inside and wipe off all the snow? I would like to have some tips on what maintenance i should do, thanks.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
are you just in the snow? no road salt/sand/grit? either way i'd recommend cleaning/wiping down frequently. you'll certainly need to lube things more often. if you're on the roads a little, you should do more cleaning to remove the salt, that stuff will eat everything.

·
REALLY?
2,098 Posts
I would just get a junkyer bike specifically for the snow - something decent (95-96 diamondback apex for example) but a bargin off craigs list or something and use it during the winter/snow months.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I'd leave it outside and wash it down when temps exceed 40*F. It's the temp cycles that hurt, leaving the bike in the cold slows down the corrsion and stops the ice from turning to water. I've ridden bikes all winter on salted roads, lots of rusted chrome bits, no real problems.

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Ive been riding in the winter for several years now, I park my bikes in the garage or basement. if its real cold (under 20f) the warm er garage or basement means the various lubes and grease take a hour or two to get thick. Also use a wet lube on the drivetrain. I like finish line. if its close to freezing and slushy I leave a little extra lube on the chain as it repels the water. Ive also squirted the same lube into my shifters when they started sticking and getting sluggish and it cured them for the season.
I wash the bike if possible when it gets dirty, but if its 29f or lower there isnt much dirt or mud just snow that melts off

·
Registered
10 Posts
Heres what I do

I fill allen key holes with a craft hot glue gun, to stop water from weakening them. I also use a poly wisk broom like this one,
to knock snow; off the tires away from the brakes/bearings. and occasionally do whipe the whole thing down. Lubrication You just hafta hit at the beginning of the winter and hope for the best, sense the snow washes it away; I've done cable eyelets(with wd40), and the chain once(R&R).
Also I learned in Backpacker Magazine its good to warm up extra cold body parts slow, to lessen nerve damage.

·
On wuss patrol
5,159 Posts
Msdos5 said:
I fill allen key holes with a craft hot glue gun, to stop water from weakening them.
???:confused: ??? I admit I don't get this tip. How 'bout just putting some grease in them. Keeps water out and allows things to be re-tightened or adjusted without having to force a hard glue gob out.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
IonicRipper said:
No one, really?
I have been riding in the winter for 5 years...lots of snow and salt and sand.

Wash the thing down about once a week or every two weeks...

Lube everything when you wash it down..

Wax it every so often...

Cartridge bearings are your friend...

Buy XTR cables or full cable housings...

If anything freezes squirt in WD-40 and blow it out with an air compressor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.