Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For riding in very cold conditions (temps under 5°C to about -10°C), I usually wear a pair of lycra shorts (with a pad) with long tights over, along with wool socks and usually a baggy short over the tights for a bit of wind resistance. Then a wool baselayer and usually a softshell or a windproof jacket on top. This is decent for very short rides (under 30-40 minutes), my legs are a little cold to begin with but its not too bad.

For those longer 1-2+ hr rides, my stomach, sides and lower back get very cold and my legs tend to stiffen up a bit, so I've been eying a pair of winter bibs, preferably with fleece lining and some decent wind-proofing materials.

Anyone have good experiences with winter biblongs for mtb'ing? I've been looking at Gore and Endura bibs and they have some that might be okay, they seem to be more geared towards roadies though. Price range would be under $150.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Swedetarded
527 Posts
There's a winter thread in the commuting forum, good info there.

At 5C, I can get by with a Gore knicker length bib (just to keep the knees warm), MTB shorts, long sleeve underlayer, short sleeve jersey and a winbreaker jacket. Bibs and the short sleeve jersey help with the cold lower core. I commute in this so my speeds are higher than on a MTB (more wind). I get by with this even with the humidity in Stockholm this time of year.

When temps drop, I add layers accordingly. Craft Thermal Winter bibs, Ugly thermal long sleeve, Craft winter jacket, Gore winter gloves, Gore rain pants, Shoe covers, Baclavavleaclavla. It's a learning process. Check the temp, precipitation, humidity, wind and decide. You WILL make some mistakes, but light thin layering is key for me. Start your rides a bit chilled and you will end up sweating.

-10C is my cut off for commuting. I find that some plastic parts become VERY brittle around this temp and like to break without warning.

I can't believe we are having this conversation already. I will be putting my winter spikes on next week.........:cryin: But, I really enjoy winter riding, if the last couple winters here in Sweden weren't so snowy, I would have been hitting the trails too. It it's the same, a set of these is in my future.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha tell me about it, it's only october and temps are hovering around 0-5°C here in Iceland. It felt like summer just a few weeks ago! Soon there will be snow and ice everywhere and I can just forget about any good riding until it thaws :(:(:(

Good advice though, thanks. I've been riding quite a bit for the past three winters (commuting and mtb'ing) and have the layering mostly figured out. I think a pair of bibs would help tremendously.

·
Swedetarded
527 Posts
We haven't hit freezing yet, but the chill and the darkness is making it known that winter is on the way. Better run to IKEA and buy candles. Must make sure I have a good stock of Absolut, surströmming, and knäckebröd.

Winter bibs and a cold weather long sleeve base are the where it's at. Do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.