Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we did some hiking up in left hand- it was nice- fairly calm down low so we stayed off the ridges-- but wow the drive there was a test for the yak rack ;)

Attachments

·
ride
5,275 Posts
Nice photos, pm. That sure looks different in the day. We've been hitting that regularly on our Tuesday Night Rides this winter. It's not for everyone, but the singletrack is always dry.

Funny the flowy comments. We were talking about LHCs flow over beers after the ride. I think pmrider's photos capture probably the only smooth swoopy sections of trail. The rest is bomber steep and really rocky. The climbing sucks, but the descent is fantastic.

Keith - it's up LHC right where the USFS sign is - about a mile or so past the left hander to Olde Stage. It's a pretty ghetto area - lots of shooting and shells and crap in the bottom. Several super steep jeep roads up and a couple of really choice steep trails down.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
ignazjr said:
Funny the flowy comments. We were talking about LHCs flow over beers after the ride. I think pmrider's photos capture probably the only smooth swoopy sections of trail. The rest is bomber steep and really rocky.
Exactly. Never rode there but "flowy" is not how I'd heard it described before.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha- yeah LHC is not really flowey except for that trail which does have some other really nice sections-- I also like firemans road (I forgot the #) up to-- super pinner style w/ babyheads everywhere-- check out Leelikesbikes.com for some other good pics of the area-- he trains dudes up there

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never tried 837/836-- which way is better to runt them- counter or clockwise?? also- nice blog- I totally agree- I mean the 844 is straight up- this is not sustainable (but it is stupid)- and really I don't think it is that much fun even on a moto-- wtf- but I do think LHC could have miles upon miles of sustainable singletrack winding up those valleys and the motos would make the berms themselves!! ;)

·
ride
5,275 Posts
I went down 837 and up 836 only. I think down 836 would be pretty fun, too. Seriously, though, the hike out sucked big time. 900' vertical and pretty much straight up. There was a couple spots hiking up where I had to tripod it and carry my bike with my spare arm.

I like the new road cut in on Fireman hill. At least it's a road now. It's still so freakin steep that it's only a matter of time before it's all rutted and eroded like Fireman's used to be.

For a fun option, go up from 5 points on 286, take a left on 287b, then down 843. 843 is short but has a couple of hectic sections. The 838 descent is really good, too, but it's hard to find the beginning of the trail. Coming down 838 puts you at the top of Upper Carnage. UC was really, really icy when we were up on Tues. Came close to breaking a finger sliding down icy rocks.

edit - the USFS had several planning meetings concerning LHC OHV a few years ago. It was mostly jeepers and treehuggers at the meetings, but a handful of us went to lobby for sustainable shared use singletrack. We got nowhere, unfortunately. We used to call LHCOHV the place where IMBA didn't exist, but the jeepers have really cleaned things up in the last few years. Now the shooters, that's another story.

·
Your retarded
3,085 Posts
ignazjr said:
but the jeepers have really cleaned things up in the last few years. Now the shooters, that's another story.
I used to be pretty active in that scene awhile back. If folks here think mountain bikers have to fight for their trails, they should get involved in the wheeling scene. A trail system can handle a few bikes deviating off trail without a lot of impact, but it only takes one moron in a rig to leave some nasty scarring on the terrain and ruin it for all the responsible folks. LHC is the epitome of that concept and a lot of effort has been put forth by various wheeling groups to ensure they have a place for their rigs. I'm actually happy to hear they shill have access up there, even though I no longer have a rig.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I used to 4 wheel in Lefthand alot I've only seen Mt. Bikers there once back in the day, The only place I ever Mt. Biked in left hand area was Heil, are there more Mt Bike trails in LHC?

·
ride
5,275 Posts
pm, here's a pic of the map posted at 5 Points. 843 is just to the S of 842 - it is hand drawn on this map (and has a shotgun bb hole in it). heh heh

Keith - nothing new since you've been there. I don't think much has changed in the last 10 years I've been riding there except the Meadow has been rehabbed and Carnage is now closed. No bike specific trails, just a handful of moto trails.

(photo credit, Papawheelie)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
why not both?

keith13 said:
I used to 4 wheel in Lefthand alot I've only seen Mt. Bikers there once back in the day

(hiking is for suckers)
;)

um, yeah... a bit rocky in sections:

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Nickle said:
That obstacle looks wide in your picture, Terry.
i was hugging waaay left to avoid getting trapped, literally between a rock and hard place, on the boulder by your passenger fender. i was solo that day, and in fact had to execute about a 24 point turn to get by... for a moment i thought i was gonna be biking home.
;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.