Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 178 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got one of these Cliff29er from BikesDirect....yea yea I know. But for the price, could not have bought the components.
Anyway, set this bike up as an urban/go anywhere ride. I had not even taken it out to the
local trails(SugarBottom) yet.
So, after 5 months of ownership I started hearing those all so annoying creaks. Changed the saddle, creaking. Changed the post and clamp, creaking. Repacked the BB and pedal bearings with Phil Wood, still creaking. Repacked the headset bearings, ahww creaking. Thread locked and torqued to spec every bolt on the d*mn bike, creaking.:madman:
Finally one day I went to wipe it down and noticed the crack, at least the only one I can see.

Now BD wants me to ship the entire bike back so they can inspect it, and if no "foul play"
is found they will change over the parts and send it back. Great, I pay for shipping and take
the chance they try to blame me/not honor a warranty. So, I contacted Windsor about the
"no fault" warranty they have on the frames. This is when you send in the stripped frame and they sell you a new one for below whole sale cost. But even Windsor is putting hurdles in my way. I have to have a copy of this and proof of that. That is IF they have one of my frame in stock. :confused: So, again I pay for shipping and more. And I still after 5 emails can not get a straight answer about the cost of the frame!!!!:madmax:

Going to purchase a better frame and switch over parts. Send in the Windsor frame, depending on the total cost. And sell the Windsor when I get it, $50. Or make a wind chime out of the frame, some old chain and cassette rings and a couple of stretched Shimano chains.

Wanted to vent, and warn people about all of this BS.

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
BikesDirect=Windsor...one in the same....like Dawes, Mercier, Motobecane...keep us posted on what happens as I am contemplating a bike purchase from them in the next two weeks.

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Does the seat post have minimum insertion mark? Looks like a crack caused by too little post in the frame. (Although looking at your photos the saddle doesn't appear to be abnormally high.)

Good luck.

G

·
cdaddy said:
Does the seat post have minimum insertion mark? Looks like a crack caused by too little post in the frame. (Although looking at your photos the saddle doesn't appear to be abnormally high.)

Good luck.
My thoughts exactly.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To Cujo
Well when I know as much about bikes as most of the people working at my LBS's, (own
nearly all of the same Park tools as they do, having gone to Park classes with some of them),
and wanting an inexpensive hardtail that I wouldn't punch a wall if it got stolen. This was a good monetary investment.

Thanks anyway.

·
crap magnet
572 Posts
Mr. Doom said:
Looks like the same crack hundreds of fisher's suffer, wish a little R&D went into that design. It should be warrantied asap!
I was going to offer to sell the OP my lightly used Fisher Xcal frame. Then I realized just how ironic that would be. (FWIW, I have both the Xcal and a Rig. So far so good but i run lots of seatpost.)

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sh*tty Ive read BD is crappy with there warranty i would say forget the frame cut your losses and check out the sette Razzo i dont see the point in spending more money on shipping etc (the windchime sounded cool who knows maybe you can get some money off ebay for something like that)

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
I really don't think that warranty sounds unreasonable. The 'price you pay' for going direct is DIY. I knew this when I bought my Access frame. If it breaks I expect to just junk it. But, if you decide to pursue warranty with them, this sounds pretty much on the up and up. If it had been purchased at a shop, they would generally be given some authority from the manufacturer to assess the damage and decide if it was truly a material or craftsmanship defect. BD doesn't have an established relationship with you beyond as a customer, so they need to inspect it themselves.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Be happy you got 5 months out of it. Mine developed a crack in the same exact spot after about 3 weeks and maybe 125 miles. For materials and cost of sending the frame back it wasn't worth the time and agrivation. It now hangs on the wall in my basement- lets call it a wall ornament.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sean salach said:
I really don't think that warranty sounds unreasonable. The 'price you pay' for going direct is DIY. I knew this when I bought my Access frame. If it breaks I expect to just junk it. But, if you decide to pursue warranty with them, this sounds pretty much on the up and up. If it had been purchased at a shop, they would generally be given some authority from the manufacturer to assess the damage and decide if it was truly a material or craftsmanship defect. BD doesn't have an established relationship with you beyond as a customer, so they need to inspect it themselves.
Understood and I agree to a point. I understood what I was paying for, but 5 months??!! :shocked:
I posted mainly to warn of the possible problems and to find out if anyone else has had this frame crack on them.
And I needed to vent.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RookieBeotch said:
Off topic: I see you claim sugarbottom as your local trails, and I feel like I've seen this bike or something similar locked up in downtown Iowa City, small world if it's one in the same. That said, good luck!
Yep, locked up in front of the Dublin !!! That is where I park it while at classes. Small World.

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
29er_convert said:
Understood and I agree to a point. I understood what I was paying for, but 5 months??!! :shocked:
I posted mainly to warn of the possible problems and to find out if anyone else has had this frame crack on them.
And I needed to vent.
Having a broken frame sucks, no question about it. But I don't think this is a reflection on the quality of frame. After all, just put a search in on broken Gary Fisher (Fissure) frames. The issue is the warranty service. And that is part of the price you pay (or don't pay) for BD bikes. You save a significant amount of money because of a lack of service.

BTW-I rode my Windsor Cliff29 frame for 9 months with no failure, just didn't like the fit so I got a Access XCL 9r which I can take into a Performance shop if it breaks.

1 - 20 of 178 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.