Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wily Cycles/Boulder Performance.net team rider Fred Marmsater took the 18 Hours of Fruita solo men's win!

He was digging the 29" wheels, and said they helped him stay fresh and conserve energy with the way they keep their speed and give a good ride quality and excellent traction.

Also, we had a team of 29ers racing the 4 person Co-ed, and they took a solid 3rd, battling the 2nd place team back and forth the whole race. Two of the guys on the team were on their Wily 29ers for the first time (got the frames built up just in time for the race) and really digged them. So 2 more converts!

Check out this link for some pics and race reports:

http://singletrackhowl.typepad.com/

·
Registered
504 Posts
Awesome stuff Brad. I'm afraid I've cracked and just gone with the relatively cheap and cheerful Rig as my first proper 29"er - should be here next week. A Wily is definitely on the horizon though - nicest looking frames I've seen for a long time, you really need to get some more of your frame pics and some info on this team up on your site.

All the best,

Sam

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kolo said:
Awesome stuff Brad. I'm afraid I've cracked and just gone with the relatively cheap and cheerful Rig as my first proper 29"er - should be here next week. A Wily is definitely on the horizon though - nicest looking frames I've seen for a long time,

thanks, I really appreciate the compliment!

> you really need to get some more of your frame pics and some info on this team up on your site.

yeah, you are definitely right on that. Hope to have a new main website in the next month or so, and do plan to get more pics up on the team blogsite in the meantime. I'm not the best at this stuff obviously.

·
I like bikes
480 Posts
Rig

Kolo said:
Awesome stuff Brad. I'm afraid I've cracked and just gone with the relatively cheap and cheerful Rig as my first proper 29"er - should be here next week. A Wily is definitely on the horizon though - nicest looking frames I've seen for a long time, you really need to get some more of your frame pics and some info on this team up on your site.

All the best,

Sam
I bet that once you ride the Rig thoughts of other frames will leave your mind............... ;)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
pseudo intellectual said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this: Are you able to build forks w/ the new tubes yet?
yep, we are building with them now. Work well, and no need for the plug extensions we used previously to achieve the correct axle to crown height to be suspension corrected. Basically the exact same fork blade as before, just longer.

We are also still able to offer the skinnier diameter True Temper blades that work well for lighter weight riders, and for those we can still do the plug extensions if needed.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
pseudo intellectual said:
I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in this: Are you able to build forks w/ the new tubes yet?
I was waiting for this to happen also but it seems there is a problem with the new tubes. This is from my builder friend:

"I received the unicrowns from True Temper but they were 12.7mm (.5 ") too short to make a 485mm length fork (19 inch). I didn't feel good about that since 12.7mm will slack'n a head angle about .5 degrees and lower the BB height for that eventual rock or stump to catch the pedal and throw a rider over-the-bars."

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bigwheel said:
I was waiting for this to happen also but it seems there is a problem with the new tubes. This is from my builder friend:

"I received the unicrowns from True Temper but they were 12.7mm (.5 ") too short to make a 485mm length fork (19 inch). I didn't feel good about that since 12.7mm will slack'n a head angle about .5 degrees and lower the BB height for that eventual rock or stump to catch the pedal and throw a rider over-the-bars."
yeah, but we don't need to make them 485mm, only 465-470mm to account for normal sag on a 80mm fork. Now if someone wanted 485mm+, we could go back to using the plug extensions which work great. Also depends on the dropout you select, which can make a few mm difference in height.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.