Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Willow Camp in Marin for the first time yesterday. The views are incredible! It's an overgrown Fireroad that feels single track most of the way down. Very steep and probably not a fun up. Our route:

Mill Valley-Railroad-Ridgecrest-Willow camp-Hwy 1-Middle Green Gultch-Pipeline-Tenderfoot

28 miles and perfect on my single speed.

Railroad warm up climb

Almost to Ridgecrest

Ridgecrest

Looking down to Stinson Beach

Starting down Willow Camp

Steep

Hang glider

View from Hwy 1

Middle Green Gultch

Elevator on the mountain

Pipeline

Tenderfoot

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
You didn't have any shots of the singletrack on Willow. I was up there last Father's day. Fireroad turned into a nice singletrack after the first supersteep left and was like that for 80 percent of the trail. And Bar-B-Q at Stinson waiting for us!

Thats a great route you did, that part of Hwy 1 after Stinson is steep and really crowded in the summer. I think you can go up Coastal trail up to Pantoll too.

Here's two from last June, our route was Samuel P. Taylor Park>Jewell>Bolinas Ridge>Ridgecrest>Willow.

Attachments

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Nice pics and route. Haven't been on Willow Camp in about 5 years, have to head back one of these days. Never been up Middle Green Gulch on the ss, but I watched Baycat push his ss up it once ;-)

-slide

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slide mon said:
Nice pics and route. Haven't been on Willow Camp in about 5 years, have to head back one of these days. Never been up Middle Green Gulch on the ss, but I watched Baycat push his ss up it once ;-)

-slide
We were originally going to go up Coastal as I was thinking Green Gulch was going to be a push. Was feeling good so we gave it a try which wasn't that bad. Only push was a few corners after the bridge. I'm glad we did as the route to Tenderfoot is more fun than repeating Railroad.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Re: Willow Camp

nutballchamp said:
Did Willow Camp in Marin for the first time yesterday. The views are incredible! It's an overgrown Fireroad that feels single track most of the way down. Very steep and probably not a fun up. Our route:
It is not a fun up...it is very difficult. I used to go down McCurdy and then up Willow as part of a loop. In all the times trying I never cleaned it, the section where it goes back in to the trees about 2/3 of the way up always got me. Anyone ever clean it?

·
WWYD?
1,603 Posts
fourarm said:
It is not a fun up...it is very difficult. I used to go down McCurdy and then up Willow as part of a loop. In all the times trying I never cleaned it, the section where it goes back in to the trees about 2/3 of the way up always got me. Anyone ever clean it?
That steep has got to be rated one of the most difficult in Marin. Tried and walked. Riding down McCurdy is on my ride list!

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
fourarm said:
Ughh, I went up Lone Tree once and decided I was done going up on that side of Tam. I need a serious reward for that much punishment.

Down McCurdy, up Randall, it's much easier on your constitution (and avoids pavement altogether :thumbsup: )

-slide

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
I resemble that comment, and to the OP nice pictures perfect weather we are having. Willow Camp up is about as much fun as Shafter Grade up.

On a separate note has anyone road a a trail aptly named 'Boundary' guessing it is a boundary trail of some sort off Bolinas Ridge, down into Kent Lake? Said bike friendly.

·
NedwannaB
12,779 Posts
That's it then......

fourarm said:
It is not a fun up...it is very difficult. In all the times trying I never cleaned it, the section where it goes back in to the trees about 2/3 of the way up always got me. Anyone ever clean it?
You've set the bar fourarm.....there'll be no takers. :skep: :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts