Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My riding co-worker pal says NO = Boooooooooo

So I'm gonna tuff the heat after work alone today...got a 30min climb @ 3-4mph. Lucky it is shaded most of the way up. Once up = SINGLE TRACK YYYEEEHHHAAAAA

I plan to pack my hydro bladder with ICE..LOTS of ICE!

SO what say you?
Too Hot to ride?

·
Professional Crastinator
6,120 Posts
I don't tolerate it as well as I used to, but 90F is no biggie. 96F feels hot. Humidity and shade plays a pretty big part. Those long, slow, dead air climbs can be pretty nasty.

-F

·
Registered
508 Posts
Silly question as it depends what you are acclimated to.

Of course the braggarts love this stuff.

Two years ago, around Atlanta, you just didn't get much choice around riding 90+. Thankfully, last year was noticeably cooler. I'm hoping this year also remains cooperative.

That said I don't go out at triple digits. Even at 95 and whatever insanely high humidity we get here, I ride shorter and slower.

Find yourself in thick woods on the right GA summer day and it is a literal sauna.

For me personally though, I prefer hotter over colder now. When its too cold, my nose gets running and I'm not a snot rocket fan :p. That's more annoying than the hot temps to me.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
It depends. 100 degrees @ 10% humidity is no big deal, 90 degrees @ 95% humidity is brutal.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I live in texas. Yes I will. Gonna buy some lights tho so I can night ride and beat the heat.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
I've ridden at night and still in 90+ a couple times. It felt wrong on both occasions. I kept thinking 'why the eff is it so hot out, its dark, wtf?!' Definite mind -frack.

·
Trailhead Poseur
506 Posts
Florida rider, and if I didn't ride in 90 degree temps then I wouldn't be able to ride 8 months out of the year. At least my home trail is mostly through a forest and the tree canopy provides shade. I am a wimp in cold weather though. I don't like going out when it's much below the mid-50's, though part of that is because it doesn't get cold enough, for long enough, to justify buying cold weather riding gear.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOl mofo ~ that would kill me for sure..some iron man dude passed me last week going up..that f'n guy was pumpin it and dissapeared quickly...no way in hell my oldarse could pump up this trail any faster..I expect todays heat will slow me way down to the slowest 2mph....
I plan on hooking my helmet and gloves to my pack for the ride up..get to the top suit up and bomb some singletrack!!
At the end I bet I weigh 10lbs less LOL

July it can be 105 for weeks so I think it's tiem to buy a headlight and do some night riding this summer!!

RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
orthonormal
4,927 Posts
+1 on acclimation. I lived in Tucson from '93-'02 and regularly rode in very hot temps. My Ultimate Directions pack bladder held 128 oz. of water and I carried two 28 oz. bottles of Cytomax for 2-3 hour rides several days a week in the summer. Usually early morning but that didn't always work out so there were occasions where I rode when it was 110+.

Fast forward to today. I live in Carmel, CA where anything above 70 is a hot day. Most of the trails aren't right along the coast and it gets warmer pretty quickly even a few miles inland. I find myself feeling uncomfortably hot riding if it's even 80 degrees out. I had a friend from Tucson visit in July a couple of years ago and he spent the whole time wearing a jacket and complaining of the cold while I walked around in shorts and a t shirt thinking the weather was perfect.

·
SS Pusher Man
7,596 Posts
Well it's supposed to be pushing about 96-99 today with a 30 mph wind gusts and below 10% humidity.....so it's hot, dry and windy, but I will still get out.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't think so. I remember around 9 yrs ago when I lived in FL, I did a 5 mile loop at Quiet Waters Park. FL is flat trails. After making it around (I usually did two loops) I was just freakin' exhausted and so sweaty! Then I realized "What am I doing, its 95°F and about 95% humidity!". So I went home and waited for the fall season. Now I live in the Atlanta area, same summers.

G

·
In Nebraska, if you don't ride below freezing or above 100F you don't get very many rides in. Don't have an upper limit, lower hovers around 15.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I live in Florida also. 90+ degrees and high humidity is the norm, June 1st through mid to late October. It's brutal, but I do it. No choice. I'm originally from Vermont, so I don't mind when it gets "cooler" in the winter.

The heat makes me feel like I'm in worse shape. Also... I second "lots of ice" advice. That's critical, IMO.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same with Minnesota. You just hafta ride when you have time to ride, and deal with the weather. Dress accordingly. Great thing about the cold is you can always add more layers. When it heats up you can only take so much off before you get arrested.

The nice thing here is your usually riding in trees when its that hot, so you get the shade. Not like AZ where you just hafta bake in it.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts