Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Shut up and RIDE!
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to replace my American classic disc hubs with xtr hubs. I also have to use the xtr rotors because they are the only rotors that will work with xtr. Does anyone have any experience matching these components? I only want to replace the amclassic hubs bec they are very flexy. I am hoping the xtr hubs won't be as flexy. I will be putting dt revolution spokes and mavic 317 rims. I weigh 165lbs. My bike is the 2005 specialized enduro. Will this be a good idea?

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
A few things...

First: Yes, the XTR rotors will work with the Juicy7 brakes as long as you get the same size (diameter) rotor. For example, if you're using the 160mm Juicy7 rotor, get the 160mm Shimano rotor.

Second: There are adaptors available that will let you use 6-bolt rotors on centerlock (XTR) hubs. Problem Solvers is one brand and DT-Swiss makes another.

Third: What do you mean by your AC hubs being flexy? I think the flex that you're feeling might be overall wheel flex and if true, XTR hubs built with DT Revolution spokes won't be any stiffer. What type of riding are you doing? Are your current wheels built with Revolutions? What is the spoke count of your current wheelset? If your current wheels are low spoke count (28 spokes or less) and built with Revolutions, I'd say the spokes are the source of the flex. It also seems like you're going to build an awfully light wheelset for an Enduro.

Give us some more info...

·
The Top Cap Guy
952 Posts
If you are using Ti skewers - that could be the source of flex also.... not necc the hub?

FF

·
Shut up and RIDE!
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My spokes are double butted taiwan made.

spoke count = 36. I think that my spokes are the ones causing the flex. When i lean my bike, the pads will rub on the rotors. But when i dont lean, no disc rubbing. I think i will just get a crossmax xl or an xtr wheelset. Which do you think is better? I am having a hard time deciding whether if i should get a pre built wheelset or assemble a new one. I also like to try going tubeless.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Must be something new...All of my rotors are attached to the hub not the spokes. I can remove half (or all) of my spokes and it will not make the rotor touch my pads - sorry, I could not resist on Monday morning.

All bearings have freeplay (radial, taper, cones, etc.) a good designed hub will allow you to adjust and minimize this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts