Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting on a couple of small parts to finish a 27.5 130/140 bike. Just mounted continental 2.4 trail kings on a WTB asym i35 rim. They look massive--I know trail kings have a taller profile, and the width is a bit of an illusion, but they are still much fuller than a 2.35 Bontrager tire and rim for comparison. They almost look like +wheels now. I am the type of rider who pops and pumps down a trail. Every rock and root is a launch ramp. The new tires look like they will just roll over everything. Has anyone made the switch to wide and did your bike lose it pop/playful feeling? thinking I may need to go a little thinner...…..but I guess I know in a few days. What is your experience?

·
Hitching a ride
3,193 Posts
If you flatten out your tire profile with wide rims, it will hurt the handling. I do 30mm max on 2.4 tires. For a semi slick 2.4, 25mm rims. I'll build a new wheelset with 5mm difference in rim width if I think it will tweak the feel where I want.

·
Registered
5,800 Posts
It can do...

I went from 23ID rims on my AM HT 29er, to 30ID eyelet rims.

On the 23ID rims I was running 2.35" tyres.

On the 30ID rims I'm running 2.6/2.5" tyres.

Bike has transformed from a poppy slasher into a poppy plough, if that makes sense.

The inherent abilities of the the bike are still present.

Now it's a lot more comfortable on gnarly descents & probably a little slower to get up to speed on the climbs.

PS - I wouldn't go back to prior setup though. IMHO my whip rides better than it did.

PSS - I'll probably rebuild the narrow rims for Endurance type events.

FYI - 23ID rims are Stans ZTR & the new/wider rims are KORE 3.0

'Born to ride!'

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.