Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anyone know if WeirWolf LT 2.55 29” tires will fit on my 07' Salsa El Mar (with a CroMoto Grande fork).

Also, I will be using Mavic 719 rims. I read that "You need a rim with minimum 21mm bead seat diameter to be really safe". Unfortunately I can't seem to track down this information for the Mavic 719s.

I just want to ensure it all works before I order them.

Thanks in advance,
-Nate

·
Registered
154 Posts
Looking at the Mavic site there is no info on how wide the rim is.
the are the specs:
ETRTO compatible size: 622 x 19c
Recommended nipple length: 12 mm
Recommended rim tape: 622 x 20 x 0.6
Recommended tire widths: 1.50 to 2.30

I take the 19c in ETRO size specs how wide the tire bed is, not the outer size.

EDIT, found this Info:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=19409&category=145

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
WW LT and El Mar are good

The tires will fit just fine. I rode an El Mar with WW LT's on it front and rear at 20 psi mounted on Delgado Disc rims ( much wider than you are talking about) and it was just fine. This was at Salsa HQ just last November.

I'd go with a wider rim, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mavic a719 rim width

I ride Mavic a719 rims on a Panaracer Rampage (about as wide as the Weirwolf LT) with no problems. I've seen somewhere that the bead width is 24.5mm.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Open Pros even work!

I have used the 2.5 WTB Weirwolfs with even the relatively narrow Mavic Open Pro rims, I rode the combo doing a large part of the 24 hours NATS at 9 Mile last summer...I bent my front wheel on the second lap, so I was forced to use my Mavic Open Pro CX wheel, as it was the only extra wheel that I had available. I was riding a rigid set-up so I switched to the 2.5 tire in an effort to give respite to my ravaged hands after about the fourth lap...I am happy to report that the tire did just fine even on such a narrow rim...I did keep the air pressure up around 30 as I was nervous about a blow-out, but really with such a big tire, even 30 pounds provides some "give" and yet seems to corner well too. It made a believer out of me and i have sense used the wheel many times in less-than-really technical races...I may even use the same set-up in a few weeks at the Arrowhead 135 if the conditions are appropriate. It makes for a very light wheel...I have had very good luck with both the 719 and Open Pro rims...they seem to be very well made...
Charle :thumbsup:

·
Single Speed Junkie
3,116 Posts
4lane said:
I ride Mavic a719 rims on a Panaracer Rampage (about as wide as the Weirwolf LT) with no problems. I've seen somewhere that the bead width is 24.5mm.

You must be thinking of a different WWLT than I have if your Rampage is the same size.

A custom frame built for the WWLT can not run the tread, but the rampage fits just fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts