Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. Do you think they'd ever consider making a hardtail at Turner Suspension Bikes? The company has a very loyal following, and Turner riders seem to love all types of riding and bikes.

Maybe the people at Turner want to concentrate on their current range and not over stretch themselves. Also, I guess producing a hardtail, particularly if they opted for steel, would make things a whole lot more complicated.

Anyway, food for thought. Enjoy your weekend riding everyone.

Cheers,

Duncan

·
Registered
619 Posts
You answer your own question

Duncan said:
Just curious. Do you think they'd ever consider making a hardtail at Turner Suspension Bikes? The company has a very loyal following, and Turner riders seem to love all types of riding and bikes.

Maybe the people at Turner want to concentrate on their current range and not over stretch themselves. Also, I guess producing a hardtail, particularly if they opted for steel, would make things a whole lot more complicated.

Anyway, food for thought. Enjoy your weekend riding everyone.

Cheers,

Duncan
Turner Suspension Bikes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try a search as well, DT has posted here on that subject before.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
There isn't much of a point. The market is already saturated with quality hardtails. Unlike FS bikes there is very very little to make one good hardtail stand out over the other so it would just be a waste of resources for a small company IMO.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Dead horse...

ozlongboarder said:
Forget the hardtail.........how about a FS 29er.
I think DT responded to your previous request: :p

Turnerbikes said:
No 29 in the pipe, no plans for it whatsoever. We tested 2 rigid steel single speeds by the same builder with the same tubing, with the same effective gearing, both equipped with the same brand and model of tires, one bike 29 and one 26 inch wheels. The 29er had a cool feel as I rode it off and on for a couple months and I started to think the 29 ideology may be worth pursuing in suspension. Then I switched to the 26" wheeled bike and was more pleased, over all, on the first ride. There was a couple situations where the 29er felt better, but not nearly as many as it would take to make me want to build a suspended one. So, that was the end of the testing. I bartered away the fillet brazed Wulff 29 single speed and kept the 26er.

No e-petition needed. 'nuff said.

David Turner

·
Fragile
253 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
Forget the hardtail.........how about a FS 29er.
I second that wish! I would love to have a FS companion to the 29er SS that I am dreaming up right now. . .

edit after reading Bikezilla's post: Do'h! I guess I will have to call Sherwood for the project after my next project! ;)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Hecubus said:
There isn't much of a point. The market is already saturated with quality hardtails. Unlike FS bikes there is very very little to make one good hardtail stand out over the other so it would just be a waste of resources for a small company IMO.
I would tend to agree, but after seeing how the Nitrous spanks the rest of the market when it comes to a super light suspension bike, I'd be curious to see a super light hardtail from Dave & Co. Better make it 29" wheels though! :D

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
rigid

IF and that is IF we think there was enough demand to do a hard tail it would probably be a steel single speed as that is where my heart goes when thinking hardtail.
After talking with the new Team Maxxis rider Matt Toulouse who had to ride a Turner hardtail in Phoenix I am very confident that we will never produce a hard tail for racing. His opinion that hard tails were done was based on riding one of Geoff's raced out Nitrous frames from last year, then switching to the hardtail to race the very smooth Phoenix course.He could hardly wait for the new frames, which are at paint as we speak. They wanted Orange. Go figure.

We have had a little more interest in a dirt jump hard tail. We are going to do a market test this season with the DH and 4X racers to see if anyone out there actually cares about a Turner hard tail DJ bike. As with the rest of the already flooded hartail XC market I don't think we can squeeze enough sales outa the DJ crowd to warrant producing anymore than fun bikes for a few team riders.

Turner Suspension Bikes.

DT

·
Sponsored by Xanax
358 Posts
Hey, it's like Orville Redenbacher said: Do one thing and do it better than anyone else.

Now, I don't take all my advice from popcorn tycoons, but the Nitrous does sorta negate the need for an XC racing hardtail. In other words, Turner is all about suspension, right?

I do have a hardtail but switched years ago from my Klein kidney-bruiser (aluminum's funny that way) to a titanium HT. Alu hardtails are fast/quick, but they take their toll.

Now a singlespeed seems to be another matter altogether, but would we be talking aluminum or another frame material?

·
Fragile
253 Posts
do it. . .do it!

turnerbikes said:
IF and that is IF we think there was enough demand to do a hard tail it would probably be a steel single speed as that is where my heart goes when thinking hardtail.
I just got FMB just thinking about this! DT, if you promise to do it, I promise to wait for you. I will never think of cheating on you again!

(Not in a creepy kinda way, honest!)

·
Fragile
253 Posts
Roostalee said:
would we be talking aluminum or another frame material?
;) Read DT's post again. . .

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
DON'T DO IT DUDES!!!!!

step away from the steel hardtail single speeds......
They are addictive evil machines designed to keep you away from your 5 spots!

·
Waiting to exhale.
1,030 Posts
tscheezy said:
As long as we are going into the weeds here, test market a long travel DH unicycle. 4-bar or single pivot, whatever. At least we would be staying suspended.
Dude,
I guess you don't know..... 6 inch travel roller blades are all the rage these days. single pivot or four bar, whatever.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I always thought a long-travel Razor Scooter which had it's geometry corrected to run a Super Monster would be cool. I'd pony up for one of those. 4-bar or single pivot, whatever.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
turnerbikes said:
His opinion that hard tails were done was based on riding one of Geoff's raced out Nitrous frames from last year, then switching to the hardtail to race the very smooth Phoenix course.
Hardtails probably are done for racing; definitely when you have a Nitrous at your disposal! However, that doesn't keep some holdouts from continuing to race a hardtail, or at least have one around. I just think it would be amusing to see Turner shatter the ~3lb. barrier that hardtails seem to be stuck at like the Nitrous did to the ~5.5lb plateau for full suspension bikes.

Otherwise the market seems filled to capacity, and I for one wouldn't miss never seeing a Turner hardtail (sorry Mountain_Smith). I know most of you guys say the same thing about a full suspension Turner 29"er, the difference is that we've all ridden hardtails and know what they're about, but I'm not so sure that's the case for 29"ers (Dave's test and preferences notwithstanding).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.