Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So, my mountain bike is 16 years old and the drive train parts are worn out. I get some serious chain suck and the chainrings are pretty chewed up.

It came with the following components, all Shimano:

Front Derailleur - FD-M651
Rear Derailleur - RD735M
Cassette - CS-M900 11-32
Chainrings SG - 26,36,46
Rapid-fire shifters-ST-M900

Since my chainrings have seen better days and my chain needs replacing I thought I'd change out all of the associated parts to make it new again. And, since I can't find an 8 speed cassette my question is will this set up work?

M770 9 speed cassette 12-34
HG93 chain
Chainrings 24,34,44

and keep the same front/rear derailleur and shifters.

I'm really happy with this bike, the frame fits well and is a great bike. I'm not interested in buying a new bike so please help me get this one back in proper running shape.

Thanks!

Cya,

jr

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
Capt Sport said:
Hi all,

So, my mountain bike is 16 years old and the drive train parts are worn out. I get some serious chain suck and the chainrings are pretty chewed up.

Rear Derailleur - RD735M
Cassette - CS-M900 11-32
Chainrings SG - 26,36,46

Since my chainrings have seen better days and my chain needs replacing I thought I'd change out all of the associated parts to make it new again. And, since I can't find an 8 speed cassette my question is will this set up work?

HG93 chain
Chainrings 24,34,44

I'm really happy with this bike, the frame fits well and is a great bike. I'm not interested in buying a new bike so please help me get this one back in proper running shape.

Thanks!

Cya,

jr
No, you'll need 9spd rear shifter
what about...
http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/12...ram-MTB/Sram-PG-850-8-Speed-Cassette-2009.htm

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
Capt Sport said:
Hi all,

Rear Derailleur - RD735M
Cassette - CS-M900 11-32
Chainrings SG - 26,36,46

HG93 chain
Chainrings 24,34,44

Thanks!

Cya,

jr
I like the Shimano 11-32 as it has less of a jump from the 1st and 2nd cogs (Shimano is a 4t jump, the SRAM is a very noticeable 6t jump). If you wanted something Go with a top level Shimano or SRAM 8 speed chain and some solid Race Face chainrings and you'll be golden.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The bottom line is....

your 8 speed shifter will not play well with a 9 speed cassette. Your shifting performance will suffer and you'll end up with at least two unuseable cogs in the rear. The indexing of an 8 speed shifter and the cog spacing of a 9 speed cassette just aren't compatable. There are still reasonable quality 8 speed cassettes out there, just not the high end stuff for the most part. You'll be much better off sticking with a lower end 8 speed cassette, than trying to make a higher end 9 speed work. Your other choice is replacing the shifters as well and a complete roll over to 9 speed. You're call.

Good Dirt

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the great info! I've ordered an HG40 cassette with a 11-34 range. I really wanted the lower gearing to help me get up some of the bigger climbs around here.

Do you guys have any recommendations on a chain? Keep in mind I'm a Clydesdale and need to have a really strong chain.

Thanks again,

jr

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
People seem to have varying opinions on which is the best chain. Bottom line is they are interchangeable, so it's personal preference. I had some bad luck with sram and kmz, so I stick with shimano. Some people may have had better luck with the other brands.

I have started using deore chains lately. They seem just as durable as the xtr and cost much less. I believe the biggest difference is the amount of corrosion resistance on the side plates.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
rlouder said:
Why use a 9-speed chain with an 8-speed drive?

Even if works, I believe an 8-speed chain is stronger.
:yesnod:

FWIW, I use KMC because of their center-punched pins (ala Shimano) and their quick-links

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
rlouder said:
Why use a 9-speed chain with an 8-speed drive?

Even if works, I believe an 8-speed chain is stronger.
Works great even on seven speeds...

Has corrosion resistant plates...

Has great flex for shifting....

One of the strongest chains out there...

Jensons sells them for less than most LBS sell lower level chains....

Simply can't go wrong.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
jeffscott said:
Works great even on seven speeds...
Good to know.

I picked up a couple deore's with kmz links for 12 bucks a pop over the winter. The one I have tried is holding up as well as the xtr I used, but I have noticed the difference in the side plates.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help guys! I'll get one of those XTR chains on order. I'll let you all know how it works out.

Thanks again,

jr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi all,

Just thought I say thanks once again and let you know how it all worked out.

I went to order the new chainrings and found out I could get a entire crank set for less $$$, so I bought an LX crank set with bottom bracket for $85 verses the $94 for the chain rings. That worked out really well as it's weighs considerable less than the old Deore set up. Put on a new Mega range HG40 cassette with a 34 tooth low gear, this combined with my new 22 tooth front makes it so much easier to climb. : ) My old set up was a 26/32. I also thru on that new chain you guys recommended. And since I had it tore down I put on new brake pads as well.

So, over all my bike is running like new. Once again a big thanks to you guy!!!

Cya,

jr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts