Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been mtn biking for awhile now, but i still dont know much about mtn bikes...i recently purchased a Manitou Kingpin TPC fork..i am wondering if this will be compatible w/ my Gary Fisher Tassajara bike?:???:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Burton135rider said:
I have been mtn biking for awhile now, but i still dont know much about mtn bikes...i recently purchased a Manitou Kingpin TPC fork..i am wondering if this will be compatible w/ my Gary Fisher Tassajara bike?:???:
whoa man, isn't the tass an xc bike designed for something like 100mm of travel?:nono:

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
That'll be an interesting handling bike... I put a 130mm (Minute 1) on my Tassajara, and at 130mm it steers quite a bit slower than before. My fork is adjustable from 100-130, so I can control how it handles that way. At 175mm, you're increasing the overall fork length by 3" or so (4" of travel to 7"). That's going to do more than just raise the front, it will also move your front wheel forward, increasing the wheelbase. It may not be good for the frame either, but I can't really comment on that because I have no experience with this type of situation... If you already bought the fork, you have 2 choices: install it and deal with it, possibly replacing your frame in the future; or return it for something that will fit better (100-120mm).

·
Portland, OR
3,112 Posts
you're going to kill that bike if you put a kingpin on it. I know i'm somewhat stretching the limits of putting 170mm on a burly DJ bike. stick to 130mm and under for a tass

·
3 "fiddy" for short
2,739 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
It won't handle very well without a headtube.
EXACTLY!!!!!! Do not put that thing on a Tass. Remember, a XC bike is just that. You can try to fit FR or Downhill components on it all day long and guess what.....it still a XC bike. XSL has it right. You may rip the headtube off the thing.:nono:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Do not do that.

That frame is designed around a 100mm SINGLE CROWN fork. You are going to kill a few things.
1: the handling.
2: the frame, when the HT shears
3: yourself (see #2)
4: your warranty (if you are the original owner)

The more I think about it, the more that I think this is a joke thread. Are you really thinking about mounting that thing on your bike?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Now I know this is a joke.

Stop foolin.

The Dakar is a trailbike frame.

What type of riding areyou/ will you be doing?

Did you really order that fork? If so, and you are set on using it, you need a different setup all together. (not just the frame)

·
"El Whatever"
18,889 Posts
Don't fool yourself... that ain't gonna work.

I understand you're on a budget (I am there too), but that ain't change the fact that "if you want to play, you gotta pay".

These are trail rated frames. The max they'll hold is a 6" single crown fork. It's not that you can't put the Kingpin on... you can, you'll do a couple jumps and such before the headtube rips off and you'd be on your way to buy a second frame and pay for the medical bills you'll get when the frame would break.

That's not to mention, that fork is a complete joke off from Manitou. Ask on the DH board for the survability of that fork. Too man of those broken at the stanchions... that's if the seals do not blow up on you before. This is a way better value (Sherman Slider)

You're better off with a solid Hardtail for FR/Jumping... something like the Azonic Steelhead or some CroMag stuff mated with a Zoke DJ 130 or so.

Seriously, bro... going cheap and going big ain't a good combo. Something's gonna break and if that happens, you'll get broken too (economically or phisically)

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Burton135rider said:
i recently purchased a Manitou Kingpin TPC fork
Why did you do that?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts