Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a frame to build a clunker replica and just found this one. Looks interesting and has some cool details. The seller does not know anything about the frame or the year. What to you guys think?

Attachments

·
Master of the Face Plant
2,901 Posts
That frame looks like a middleweight. I doubt it is up to any serious abuse. Cool bike for sure but I would keep it on the road. Keep in mind if those wheels are 700c the bottom bracket is going to be very low. It would make a kick ass cafe racer type bike though.

·
Registered
466 Posts
frame is a mid-1960's Murray; some of the same tubing as the spaceliner frame with the double top tube. Crazy-light for a 1960's frame. 1.95 tires OK, 2.125 repop whitewall knobbies will fit, but you'll have trouble with real dirt tires.

I have one; not very strong frame: use it gently off-road, but most clunker-builders don't intend to use them hard anyway.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ofbg, Thanks for the info.

So going to check it out at lunch today. Am I crazy paying $100-125 for this bike? I think I might be.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it was a no go. Just a bit too small and way overpriced for condition. The frame was nice and did seem to be light. Double top tube with a mixture of what looked filet brazed and lug work. Everything else on the bike was pretty much worn and throw away stuff,

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think $100 was a little high.

Most "crusier-style" frames would be about 18". There are exceptions, like the holy Grail Schwinn B10's from the 1930's which were available in a tall, about 20". I've never seen one go for a price I could touch. When you see pics of the old guys on Clunkers, the seat posts were always way high and there just wasn't quite enough cockpit in comparison to modern bikes.

Here are my latest project fodder: the rusty bike with the springer fork is a Schwinn (E-Z Speeder headbadge) with a 1954 date. Shouldn't have an inch-pitch sprocket and cog, so it may have been a frankenstein. The orange bike on the right is a Monkey Wards by Murray. Not nearly as good quality as the Schwinn, but I like the lines. I have $140 in both.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts