Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Guess I'll be answering my own question. With no replies, I decided to try these with a set of Schwalbe Black Jack 20x1.9 tires. Should save a couple lbs of rotational mass along with lighter tubes and wellgo kc008 pedals.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Cool, 1300g is pretty light and knocking off a couple pounds of rotating weight is huge! The price is unreal.

I don't know what the hotrock requires or if they'll fit. What's the ID of the rims? I couldn't find it on the site, but probably overlooked it. Also make sure it can take whatever cassette you want to use. I only saw Shimano/HG style cassette bodies. For me that'd be a deal breaker as I really like the XD setup for weight reduction and the ability to run a smaller cassette and in-turn a shorter cage derailleur.

You might also take a look at the little joe tires. The 1.4 is super light and the 2.0 is still a smidge lighter than the black jack.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, 1300g is pretty light and knocking off a couple pounds of rotating weight is huge! The price is unreal.

I don't know what the hotrock requires or if they'll fit. What's the ID of the rims? I couldn't find it on the site, but probably overlooked it. Also make sure it can take whatever cassette you want to use. I only saw Shimano/HG style cassette bodies. For me that'd be a deal breaker as I really like the XD setup for weight reduction and the ability to run a smaller cassette and in-turn a shorter cage derailleur.

You might also take a look at the little joe tires. The 1.4 is super light and the 2.0 is still a smidge lighter than the black jack.
Thanks for the reply! I already have a Shimano 9 speed cassette and derailleur from upgrading my wife's bike. On the tires, the little Joe's are double the price of black jacks and I'm trying to build this bike to 17 lbs for the cost of a new Hotrock so even $30 extra is a lot!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sounds good, I love your approach! I got my son's bike down to 16lbs but got totally carried away with it from a budget perspective. In terms of $$/grams that 1.4" little Joe may end up pretty effective, perhaps run one on the rear and the black jack on the front if you need to cut weight at the end. I'm still amazed at the price of those wheels, I gave twice that just for spokes when I built my kid's wheels. Awesome find!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.