Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a few different options. This seems to be the most simple and cheapest. Although I noticed that it is under the "Road" section of Art's even though I searched "Shimano XT bleed kit". Thoughts?

Shimano Disc Brake Bleed Kit 50ml

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Yes it will work. You will also need the block that comes with your brakes. It's the spacer that fits in the caliper when you take your pads out. If you cannot find it, it is exactly 10mm thick, so you can put a 10 mm allen wrench in there, secured with an elastic or something. Top off fluid, close resevoir, pump, squeeze and hold, open bleeder (with hose attached) and watch the fluid come out. No more bubbles = delightful.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, thanks. Good call on the allen wrench too...the brakes came on my bike and I don't remember ever getting the block.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I need to replace the pads regardless, but I'm not really sure if it is completely necessary to remove them just to bleed the line. Maybe to avoid contaminating them with fluid?

I've also never done this before so I'm not sure if it is even possible for fluid to get on the pads. So take that for what its worth.

·
Rabid Lana Fan
9,297 Posts
Might it be about getting the right volume of oil in the system?

If you bled with pads that are close to worn out vs. brand new pads, the pistons would push out farther in their bores during the bleed process. Maybe the 10 mm gap puts the pistons right where they need to be to get the perfect volume of mineral oil?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts