Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
40 oz to freedom
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
Yeah they will work with a Euro BB which you need to purchase seperately.

I am going to run a 28:12 on my 24" cruiser when I build it up, so you might want to go a bit different with a 26"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,661 Posts
yup theyll work. they come with the bb and everything, unlike the what vinny said. all you need is a front chainwheel, and any bmx type chainwheel will work. for gearing, id go with 28-13 or 14 even. 12 might be a bit tall unless your bigger and have strong legs..

i run 25-12 on my 26" dj bike and i think its perfect.. easy enough to get going, and when it tops out im going plenty fast for whatever im doing.
 

·
I post too much.
Joined
·
6,445 Posts
They'll work with a euro BB as everyone already mentionned. I honestly think your gearing might be a little rough.

(28/12)*26 would put you at 60 gear inches, which is pretty tall. I might suggest you go with a 14t(52 gear inches) or 13t(56 gear inches).

I'd personally lean towards the 13t. If you do find that the gear is too easy(I doubt it though) you can always buy another cog, those are like $5.
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
hey atomrcrkhsbiker... like I told you in that email... I would check first to see how long the spindle is that comes with those (or any off the shelf bmx cranks). If it is 5.5", you might get screwed on the length. I've never personally installed a set of 3pc'ers to an STP, so I couldn't tell you, but I might assume the cranks would be just hangin' onto the edges of the spindle with a 5.5" spindle and a 73mm wide bb shell....
But other than that, yeah, these guys are right, that set up there would be all you need if you can confirm if the width is correct, then you just need a sprocket/chainwheel.

and I have 28:12 on my 24" eastern, and it's pretty tall, but gets good speed, I think it would be too much for me on a 26".
 

·
Florida Rider
Joined
·
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BikeSATORI said:
hey atomrcrkhsbiker... like I told you in that email... I would check first to see how long the spindle is that comes with those (or any off the shelf bmx cranks). If it is 5.5", you might get screwed on the length. I've never personally installed a set of 3pc'ers to an STP, so I couldn't tell you, but I might assume the cranks would be just hangin' onto the edges of the spindle with a 5.5" spindle and a 73mm wide bb shell....
But other than that, yeah, these guys are right, that set up there would be all you need if you can confirm if the width is correct, then you just need a sprocket/chainwheel.

and I have 28:12 on my 24" eastern, and it's pretty tall, but gets good speed, I think it would be too much for me on a 26".
ya, i talked to sittingduck and he said that he just uses a regular BMX spindle, plus if I need to I can get a 6" spindle to use, right?

Any other STP owners out there that are running 3pc cranks? and if so, what spindle length are you using?
 

·
40 oz to freedom
Joined
·
1,049 Posts
fiddy_ryder said:
yup theyll work. they come with the bb and everything, unlike the what vinny said. all you need is a front chainwheel, and any bmx type chainwheel will work. for gearing, id go with 28-13 or 14 even. 12 might be a bit tall unless your bigger and have strong legs..

i run 25-12 on my 26" dj bike and i think its perfect.. easy enough to get going, and when it tops out im going plenty fast for whatever im doing.
Heh, my bad. I was always under the impression the Eastern cranks don't come with the BBs
 

·
mtbr remember
Joined
·
4,356 Posts
atomrcrkhsbiker said:
ya, i talked to sittingduck and he said that he just uses a regular BMX spindle, plus if I need to I can get a 6" spindle to use, right?
sounds good, and yeah, you can always get an aftermarket spindle, chromo is usually around $40 or so, titanium is around $100+. FSA unfortunetly doesn't make one larger than 5.75 so you have to go profile if you want 6+.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top