Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

Can anyone tell me if these type of bike racks can fit the unique Stumpjumper frames? They seem to grab the frame in the middle so it will possible miss the shock however the stumpjumper frame has a strange angle with an awkward shape top bar. So I am unsure if these will work with the stumpjumper. Perhaps these racks are expecting the top tube to be more evenly rounded and not the shape of the stumpjumper.

Please let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
627 Posts
With a nice bike like the stumpy, treat it nicely with a Thule T2 or equivalent. These types of racks hold the bike at the wheels, and do not clamp to the frame. There's the Saris Cycle-On and Yakima Hookup I believe.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I personally think that those racks will be a hassle clamping on to the Stumpy frame. It's very similar to the clamp system of a park stand, and the frame is sloped and squared enough that I have to clamp on to the seatpost. My bro's and I use 2 types of hitch rack: Yakima with my stumpy expert and bro's s-works epic

Swagman with my old (and sold) trek liquid 10 and bro's rockhopper

It takes a couple of seconds to load and unload the bikes from either rack. The swagman is cheaper of the 2, $150 out the door, purchased locally here in Houston, or online https://www.swagmanbikeracks.com/shopnew/home.php. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Agreed, go with a wheel mount rack like n.e.t. suggested, or a more conventional 2-arm rack, if your frame has the space available.

I would bet that any of those racks you linked to **could** be made to work with your specific frame, but I'd want to have 100% confidence in my equipment when I'm toting thousands of dollars worth of bikes behind my car at highway speeds.

Further, I don't see much difference between those one-armed racks compared to a shop workstand, where we are admonished not to clamp an aluminum-tubed bike by the frame, for fear of damage. I'd guess the rack manufacturers have that one figured out, but again, there are better options out there that completely avoid this potential problem by supporting the bike by the wheels.

·
Registered
17 Posts
3xv, Is there any chance that the inside bike's bars will hit the rear window with either the swagman or yakima? I too have a specialized I wwould like a rack for (Ford Explorer), and have not heard good things about the frame type racks above. Mainly a lack of stability for the bikes. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the bikes stable while traveling on the highway if you were using a Thule 964 revolver with a Thule frame adapter?

In other words, do those frame adapter really work and support the bike ok or are you better off going with the rack that supports the bike from the wheel( or does it not really matter because they both work ok?)

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
954 Posts
3xv said:
I : Yakima with my stumpy expert and bro's s-works epic

FWIW, that is a Thule T2(formerly Sportsworks system) and not Yakima...

Yakima did copy the T2 though and and have a similar version.

Spinkid...the T2 flat out rocks. Easy, fast and super stable. Come to the NW and you will see them on a lot of the vehicles up here. By far one of the best systems out there, and I have experienced several systems over the years. Sportsworks makes all of the bike racks that you see on the city buses, and they were the original designers of this system.

·
Calm Like a Bomb
2,092 Posts
Stumpy_Steve said:
OT: Pipes, how does your lady like the stumpy? Btw, my vote is for the Saris!
she loves it...i fits her much better than her 07 kona lisa ds and is much lighter too....she is faster and it's easier for her to do jumps, hop over objects, and maneuver....sometimes i feel kinda nerdy that we have the same bikes but we love them so who cares..thanks for asking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.