Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be going to Bryson City, NC with some friends January 1-5 and we are looking to try to bike one of those days. Do you know if it will be snowing? Also, is it hard to bike in the snow? Sorry I'm from Florida never seen snow!

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
I think it's gonna be snowing on the 1st, 2nd, and 5th. You should be o.k. on the 3rd and 4th. Snow biking is REALLY hard. Not recommended for anyone that has never done it one or two times at least. Prolly more. Good luck and get out of Bryson City just as quick as you can.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
The Big Mac's saracsm filter's are clogged from too much saturated fat.
B City is just what it is- not much. A fine place to stay in cabin with the fellas, but not much going on.
You'll most likely be able to ride, but prepared for temp's ranging from 20-60. All are a possibilty.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
Mike Brown said:
The Big Mac's saracsm filter's are clogged from too much saturated fat.
B City is just what it is- not much. A fine place to stay in cabin with the fellas, but not much going on.
You'll most likely be able to ride, but prepared for temp's ranging from 20-60. All are a possibilty.
Actually, it seems that my problem is that I have no filters at all.:D

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Look at the long range forecast a few days beforehand. Anything else is a just a guess.

For the time of your trip, the average high is 48, average low 21. Probably a 30% chance of rain on any given day.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
"Whats wrong with Bryson City?"

Dry as a bone. You can get adult beverages before reaching the area and at Fontana Village, but the village store will probably be closed. There is a restaurant/bar. Both directions are about 25 miles. Plan ahead.

Mountain weather can be spotty. Snow or rain on one side, not on the other. It's always a gamble and we usually just look out the window for an official forecast. Could even be 60 degrees. Regardless, you'll have fun doing something. Hope you get to ride.

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
M-U-M said:
"Whats wrong with Bryson City?"

Dry as a bone. You can get adult beverages before reaching the area and at Fontana Village, but the village store will probably be closed. There is a restaurant/bar. Both directions are about 25 miles. Plan ahead.

Mountain weather can be spotty. Snow or rain on one side, not on the other. It's always a gamble and we usually just look out the window for an official forecast. Could even be 60 degrees. Regardless, you'll have fun doing something. Hope you get to ride.
Correction: The county may be dry but you can get alcohol within the city limits. I have purchased beer at the Bryson City Ingles.

·
Big Mac
4,989 Posts
SickNick said:
Thanks for the heads up! I hope I see one day of snowing!!.. Anyone know of a nice place to go skiing/snowboarding?
Lots of "nice" places. Mt. Crested Butte is "nice". The back bowls at Vail are hard to beat, but my personal favorite is Sunshine Village in Banff, Alberta. All really "nice" places, but not real close to Bryson City. If you want close, you'll be closest to Cataloochee, but it's not "nice". You can't have close and "nice" when it comes to snow sports in NC. We gots mountain biking, but we ain't got no snow sports. Sorry. Have fun in Bryson City!:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.