Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a Scott Aspect and I can't seem to find the width of my rim. Do the 2.4in Ardents need a specific rim? If it helps my stock tires are 29x2.1

Thanks in advance

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
What rim do you have? I see that 2014's on rei.com have Alex rims. If you can look at your rim and determine the model, you can find the rim width here:

http://www.alexrims.com/product.asp?sc=1&cat=19&cat2=20

For each rim you'll see a number, like 622x21. The second number seems consistent with common internal widths. You can also easily remove your tire and measure internal width with some digital calipers.

I use 26" Ardent 2.4s with a 21mm rims and have had no problems.

But, rim width aside, you also need to consider front and rear tire clearance. Those ardent 2.4's are a very high volume tire. You might be able to find the max tire size for the frame at scott-sports.com. For the fork, go to the fork manufacturer's site. Often your fork can handle a larger tire than your frame, and the max tire size is usually published. So if in doubt, verify it'll fit your fork, buy one, try it on the back and if it doesn't fit you can put it on the front. Also pose this question to the Scott forum, maybe someone has tried this exact combination.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have found my rims 622x18 with that would the 2.4 Ardent have an issue seating? I took some measurements and believe that it should clear the frame

·
> /dev/null 2&>1
3,824 Posts
18mm - Feels like that's pushing it. I'd say start with the ardent 2.25. Your existing tubes should be fine.

Edit: I just googled 2.4 tire on 18mm and seems folks have been fine with it. I'll let someone who's tried answer.

Regarding measuring your frame, is not just the width that's the problem. It's a combination of width plus height (of which, height is not usually published). Very hard to make an assessment without actually seeing one on the bike. For reference, I measured my 2.4 just now and found it was about 60mm tall. I'm running 26, so your results may vary. And even if you have over 60mm between your rim and frame, that doesn't guarantee it will fit. It could drag on the corner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I just installed a 26x2.4 Ardent on my cheap/stock front wheel and it's massive! Took it for a spin today and it grips well. I don't think it would clear the frame on the rear. I have a 2.1 or 2.2 Kenda on the back.

This is on a 4-yr old Forge Sawback that has cheap WTB SpeedDisc "All Mountain" Rims.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm interested in this as well as I'm looking for a replacement for the rocket rons on my Scott scale 960 2014. I have stock syncros xc39 rims and can't find any specs online about them. I assume they are also 18mm. I would like to run the maxxis ardent 2.4 front and 2.2 or 2.4 rear. Just wondering if it would work. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
2,062 Posts
Wide tire, narrow rim is generally a bad combo, most particularly if you're going to run tubeless.

There's a whole discussion of the problem in this article. Tech Tuesday ? Wider Rims Are Better and Why Tubeless Tires Burp Air - Pinkbike

But basically...you know how when you hold a balloon by where its tied off, how it when you shake it a little the balloon moves a lot around the tie-off point? That's a big wide tire on a small rim.

Just go get some wide rims...you won't regret it.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Metamorphic, thanks for the response. I am not planning on going tubeless if I use these rims. I hear what you are saying about buying wider rims but the bike is brand new and I hate sinking another five hundred into it. I think I could easily run the 2.2 because stock is 2.1. I am wondering if I could run the 2.4 with tubes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Metamorphic, thanks for the response. I am not planning on going tubeless if I use these rims. I hear what you are saying about buying wider rims but the bike is brand new and I hate sinking another five hundred into it. I think I could easily run the 2.2 because stock is 2.1. I am wondering if I could run the 2.4 with tubes.
Re-upping this...as I am exactly in the same situation, Scott Scale 950 2014 here, Syncros / Alex Rims XC39 .....and I'm wondering if a 2.4 or 2.5 maxxis, or even a 29x3 inch will fit without too much problem on my rims (front wheel).

Clearance on my fork and frame is not a problem (fork is ok for 29+, too), but wide tires are important as my fork is rigid and made of steel :)

I can live with 2.35 Racing Ralph, they are very good tires, but would like to try something larger, if the rim width won't create problems (my usage is trail, XC, light AM)...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Old post, I know, but FYI - I weight 170, I'm running Ardent 29 x 2.4 tubeless on Spesh (Stout XC SL aluminum 21mm inner width hookless 29” rims) with no stability issues whatsoever. I realize my wheels are crap, but tubeless set up was flawless and compared to the Spesh Ground Controls, these Ardents kill in terms ride and grip.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts