Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
Joined
·
17,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
appleSSeed said:
thank you for the analysis. so is there such thing as a one size fits all commuter bike? Mountain bikes are much more primitive than commuters so i doubt it
 

·
Always Learning
Joined
·
9,607 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Short answer: You can commute on whatever kind of bike you want to commute to and from work.

I commuted for 8 years, 7 miles downhill to work and 7 miles uphill to home on an old Trek 820 Antelope rigid HT in Vienna, Austria. The last few years were on Big Apple tires. One flat in all of those years, lots of memories as my commute included riding through a typical Austrian cemetery (candles lit on the graves which kept things nice and spooky at night on my late night home commutes around 11 p.m.).

Make it fun and interesting. Commute on different bikes. Ride fast. Ride slow. Use lights at night. Don't use lights at night. Commute home after a few beers. Commute home while stone sober. Mix and match. Have fun. Just do it...

BB

P.S. Never wore a helmet in all those years of commuting. Not recommending that, but bike lanes were a part of European culture so interfacing with cars was only about 2 blocks out of the entire commute.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,971 Posts
BruceBrown said:
Make it fun and interesting. Commute on different bikes. Ride fast. Ride slow. Use lights at night. Don't use lights at night. Commute home after a few beers. Commute home while stone sober. Mix and match. Have fun. Just do it...
Best advice in this thread! :thumbsup:
 

·
Powered by ice cream.
Joined
·
6,355 Posts
FoShizzle said:
Will the Jones make a good commuter bike?
It comes with fender mounts and rack mounts so YES, of course.

Jones' pretty much do everything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love bikes with short top tubes, but I am not quite understanding how anybody over 6ft is feeling good on a 23" Jones. Maybe for pure all out technical riding I could see it, but not for commuting.
I would not want to go any shorter than my 24" top tubed Jones.
Anybody know if he plans on implementing a 24" again? I guess if the 6ft and over crowd is willing to squeeze themselves onto the 23" there is no reason to produce the 24".
 

·
Stokeless Asshat
Joined
·
3,360 Posts
I'm here to post in this very important thread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
310 Posts
The Jones would make an excellent commuter.
Please post a google map of your route, and highlight any poorly lit pedestrian overpasses, tunnels, or alleys you will ride past, and the approximate times you will be there.
Would you say you are less alert in the morning or evening?
Thanks in advance
 

·
ride more
Joined
·
2,626 Posts
Hellav8ted said:
The Jones would make an excellent commuter.
Please post a google map of your route, and highlight any poorly lit pedestrian overpasses, tunnels, or alleys you will ride past, and the approximate times you will be there.
Would you say you are less alert in the morning or evening?
Thanks in advance
Haha, nice.:thumbsup:
 

·
I don't do PC
Joined
·
7,401 Posts
Yes the one size fits all makes a lot of sense and the shorter the TT the better especially on MTBR. Remember fit is subjective and what works for one doesn't always work for others, except with Jones
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,267 Posts
rroeder said:
Yes the one size fits all makes a lot of sense and the shorter the TT the better especially on MTBR. Remember fit is subjective and what works for one doesn't always work for others, except with Jones
It makes total sense for Jones to keep his costs down....for the consumer and rider....not so much.
Glad I have my 24" Jones :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top