Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey any of you cross check owners happen to know if a big apple will squeeze into the cross check frame? I can tell you that it will not fit into a redline conquest frame, that is for sure!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Fastskiguy said:
I was hoping for the 2.35" but would the 2.0" fit? I'm just thinking about a road style bike with big fat slicks.
The Big Apple 2.35 is the biggest 700c tire on the market. It barely fits in a Karate Monkey frame.

BA 2.0 is a Cross Check? I doubt it, though I do not have either.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Ain't gonna happen

Fastskiguy said:
Hey any of you cross check owners happen to know if a big apple will squeeze into the cross check frame? I can tell you that it will not fit into a redline conquest frame, that is for sure!
I have a cross check and the biggest I've put in was a 42c irc mythos semi slick, I think the biggest that will fit is a 45c wtb mutano or moto raptor. My 42 dosn't have a lot of space. There are plenty of big 37-40or 45c touring, or hybrid type of tires that should be tough and fit in the crosscheck.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
The 2.0 really is not that big a tire. On a 20mm rim, I once measured 43mm, well-inflated. It fits in the fork with room to spare, never tried it in the back, but if Conti Vapor almost or fully make it there, the 2.0 BA certainly will. It may all depend a bit on where you run your rear wheel in the dropouts.

Although I never tried it (too happy with 38mm Continental Sportcontacts right now), I always thought I'd one day put the 2.0's on the Cross-Check, for those longer rides. I did Alpe d'Huez with the 2.0's, in my Fisher.
I know the 2.0 fits the fork easily, because my 26" Ugly City mtb has a cross-check fork and that tire.

·
( )
755 Posts
i was wondering this very thing

I have a pair of big apple 2.0's that i was using on my karate monkey when commuting. They do look a little narrower than 2.0 so I'm going to give it a try when i get my cross check later this week.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Surly 700c frames, collect them all! I only have 3 different onces : KM, CC, Pacer. even the Pacer as a SS. Only the Km sees some gears this year, and is planned for SS main ride use soon again.

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Steevo if you don't mind giving us an update when

Steevo if you don't mind giving us an update when you try it, I'd be interested in knowing how it goes. I think getting the 2.35's onto a cross or "road type" frame might mean a custom frame and I don't know about that. But as Cloxxki said, the big tires for a long easy ride might be really cool.

·
( )
755 Posts
four weeks later

here are the photos i promised. Sorry Fastskiguy, had to get a new card reader for the camera.

Here's my cross check with Big Apple 2.0s and fenders. There's room to spare but I have to deflate the rear tire to get the wheel in the dropouts.

Attachments

·
( )
755 Posts
thanks

between the steel frame and the fat tires, it is one smooth ride. I took calipers to the front tire and it's about 45mm wide on an open pro rim with about 60psi.

Yunkie: The fenders are planet bike's freddy fenders "hardcore" P/N 7007 for 26-28" wheels. They have to sit pretty far up in the frame to get good clearance, which meant some cutting/filing of the hanger bracket. For the rear I also had to swap out the fender stanchions for slightly longer ones. My LBS hooked me up with that.

Steve

·
No Reputation!
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Would you mind one more measurement?

Hey Steevo, how much clearance do you figure you have between the fork and rear stays with those tires? You can just eyeball it if you don't want to bust out your calipers. Thanks

·
( )
755 Posts
using a wooden ruler and eyeballing it

I'd say there is about 4-5mm on either side in the front fork, and probably 5-6mm on either side between the chainstays and seatstays-- probably can get more depending on where the wheel is sitting in the dropouts. I running it single speed and my wheel is pretty far back.

Cloxxki: That balloon tire site has some cool bikes on it! We're so behind Europe in terms of highly functional commuter bikes. It's too bad.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Verdict : FFF, Fatties Fit Fine! :)

But wait a minute...In your fork, the 45mm tire still has 4-5mm clearance on either side? Look for bigger! :) My ~51mm wide Moto rubbed in my recent CC, but cleared a slightly older CC fork. Maybe clearance just gets smaller over time, I think your's is a bit older still, being green. i always did remmeber people running 29" tires in their green CC's...

For slippery conditions, perhaps a Kenda Karma 50mm or Schwalbe Marathon 50mm could be worth is, it seems you'd clear them no-problem. Oh, and there's the Conti 28x2.1" City Contact also. Knowing Conti and it's sizing, it will probably fit your bike as well.

Balloontire.com and the stuff on there is pretty geeky for around here, but it's cool they're at least letting go of the eternal 37mm tires, and now making ever larger touring tires.

Semi off topic : How around a Bontrager Hank 29x2.3? Maybe even in a folding version with fast csing and compound to be the 29" counterpart of the crazy-fast, wicked-light, Hinderburg-sized Schwalbe 26x2.35" SuperMoto's? And I just found that Bontrager even has a Hank 26x2.5". All-slick, mind you... 30x2.5" slick, oh my...I'd love those for my upcoming 135km beach race...

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Rather than open a new off-topic thread, I'll dump this here.
I had to run an errand for my girlfriend this afternoon, and decided to dig this bike up from under the tire pile.

I got this one a size too big. Stupid, because I knew the Duratec was a bit too big too, and I got the identically dimensioned Cross-Check in this size anyway. I run 100mm stem on both and on both I don't really like using the hoods when seated.
The Cross-Chekc has the Salsa Short&Shallow. I may be my error in setup, but it looks loooong on the bike. Will have to tilt them forward and re-wrap someday, see it that helps.
I never ran this bike with any gears, it's always been either 42-16 or 34-16.
DiaCompe V-levers now, but regular Tektro top levers which in effect feel spongy, but powerful.

I accidentally came up with this idea (2nd pic) after I did a series of pics with bikes using the crappy cam's auto-shoot or whatever it's called. Never tried it before, but Photoshop does make it work. Next time I'll do this with a 26 - 29 comparison or something, probably making sure the BB is in the same spot, should be fun.

Looks like specs don't lie, these bikes are really close when layered 1:1.
Seat hight difference can be explained :
- Thomson seatpost is stuck. How to get loose without a big workshop handy?
- 175mm cranks on Cross-Check
- Fatter seat than was on it when it got stuck like this
- Fatter tires on Cross-Check
- Plus or minus any difference in BB drop

Sorry if I bored ya.

Oh, on topic : although this bike need a rear fender BAD (rain season is here), it does ride marvellously with the fatties. Next time I'll use lower pressures though, wet leafs on wet pavement with high-psi doesn't jive.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.