Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a week off during the last week of may. Going to stay at Lake POWHATAN campground at Bent Creek. Staying in a Tent. Checked out the seasonal temps during that time of year online. Anyone know what to expect BUG-WISE? Should I just stay at a hotel? I live in Florida , so I know bugs. Just wondering...:D

·
Registered
244 Posts
We don't even plant our 'maters up here until mid-May. I'm growing Cherokee Purple and Yellow Peach this season.

You're good. It's early in the season so you'll have a few skeeters and a no see um or two, but nothing like Florida.

·
Official Cooler Inspector
2,652 Posts
The "midge" (which looks like a baby house fly) is the worst bloodsucker I can think of during late spring. They seem to have limited areas/short swan-span though, I hardly ever noticed them last year. I live near the camp ground and have never had a serious bug issue at home, but in the higher elevations... midges. They've caused me to push harder than I thought I ever could and not stop very long.

Deer/horse flies usually start hitting in the hotter temps. Common Camping 'Skeeters are a part of the American camping experience.

Bears aren't a concern?

:skep:

·
Registered
312 Posts
wanderoo222 said:
Got a week off during the last week of may. Going to stay at Lake POWHATAN campground at Bent Creek. Staying in a Tent. Checked out the seasonal temps during that time of year online. Anyone know what to expect BUG-WISE? Should I just stay at a hotel? I live in Florida , so I know bugs. Just wondering...:D

Problem solved. Small (7-1/2 X 3 inches), lightweight ( 7 ounces), inexpensive, odorless, safe to use and incredibly effective on just about everything that buzzes or bites. Especially effictive on mosquitoes. I tent-camp throughout the summer in Florida, Alaska and a lot of places in between and would not leave home without my Thermacell. Millions sold by Wally Mart, K-Mart, etc. etc. :thumbsup:

http://www.mosquitorepellent.com/

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
stumpbumper said:
Problem solved. Small (7-1/2 X 3 inches), lightweight ( 7 ounces), inexpensive, odorless, safe to use and incredibly effective on just about everything that buzzes or bites. Especially effictive on mosquitoes. I tent-camp throughout the summer in Florida, Alaska and a lot of places in between and would not leave home without my Thermacell. Millions sold by Wally Mart, K-Mart, etc. etc. :thumbsup:

I thought you never left home without your infrared deer camera?

·
I love Pisgah
3,406 Posts
Ticks are bad around here until about mid summer. Then they seem to drop off alot.

·
Paste eater
3,717 Posts
Duckman said:
Ticks are bad around here until about mid summer. Then they seem to drop off alot.
They've gotten so bad in New England. There are rides where we'd look down and see a dozen or so just crawling around. Almost exclusively wood ticks. Still gross. Lyme is rampant amongst canines. It was impossible to keep ticks off our dogs during june/july/aug.

Just found a flea on our little one today and it's only Feb. Those things are tenacious little buggers. Man, I hate parasites.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts