Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new Trek 6500 disc a few weeks ago and have already given it some heavy punishment on the jungle trails here in Cambodia. To my surprise I have already warn down one of the front pads to the point where it only has a very thin covering and is starting to not sound good, the pad on the other side has plenty left, so it appears my brakes weren't setup property as the wear is uneven.

Anyway I already have a trip planned this weekend, it will probably be a three hour jungle ride, probably in wet conditions, and I know I won't be able to get hold of a new set of pads before then, if I ride with the pads in this state do I risk seriously damaging the disc?

·
Registered
57 Posts
id say just go to your LBS and pick up a pair. With my Giant i rode with my front pads in a similiar state for awhile, but ended up going through the pad before the new ones came in. Ended up pretty much destroying my rotor. However the rotor was only about 15$. If you have discs in the rear maybe swap the rear pads into the front so that at least your not using those pads as much as you would.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I really dont know the answer, but I use my front front much more than your rear so just flip them around before you next ride.

ChrisInCambo said:
Got a new Trek 6500 disc a few weeks ago and have already given it some heavy punishment on the jungle trails here in Cambodia. To my surprise I have already warn down one of the front pads to the point where it only has a very thin covering and is starting to not sound good, the pad on the other side has plenty left, so it appears my brakes weren't setup property as the wear is uneven.

Anyway I already have a trip planned this weekend, it will probably be a three hour jungle ride, probably in wet conditions, and I know I won't be able to get hold of a new set of pads before then, if I ride with the pads in this state do I risk seriously damaging the disc?

·
Registered
230 Posts
you may fry your rotor and you might just lose a bunch of braking power. ditto the recomendation to swap the rear with the back until you get the pads you need (get a couple extra sets--riding in wet conditions can blow pads very quickly)

·
^ That's what I do
747 Posts
How's the riding in Cambodia? I imagine riding through the rainforest must be a lot of fun. Do you have a good bike shop that you can go to?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The riding in Cambodia is fantastic if you don't mind the tropical heat, the whole country is one large trail! I tend to just take my GPS and go get lost in the provinces surrounding Phnom Penh. The whole country is visually stunning, and people extremely friendly. For more interesting topography and technical rides there are the Cardamom mountains and Kirirom to the west. http://www.mountainbikingcardamoms.com/

There are a few LBS's in Phnom Penh who are technically good but don't hold much stock, nearly everything has to be ordered. (Brake pads included)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts