Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I own four Intense bikes between us. Durability has been an issue with my bikes but not so much for my wife's bikes. Overall, I think the bikes ride great. My problem has become customer service. I bought two of the bikes directly from Intense. I recently wanted a new decal for my wife's bike but they wouldn't deal with me. They want me to go to an authorized dealer. The dealer wants $40.00 for a set of decals. I need one small decal and they refused to help me. I will never own another Intense. Before anybody tells me that all the manufacturers do this I will tell you that is not true. Ellsworth helped me on a small part without a dealer. Intense is not a big enough player to be running off consumers. But oh well.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,653 Posts
Try again...

Intensesaddleman said:
My wife and I own four Intense bikes between us. Durability has been an issue with my bikes but not so much for my wife's bikes. Overall, I think the bikes ride great. My problem has become customer service. I bought two of the bikes directly from Intense. I recently wanted a new decal for my wife's bike but they wouldn't deal with me. They want me to go to an authorized dealer. The dealer wants $40.00 for a set of decals. I need one small decal and they refused to help me. I will never own another Intense. Before anybody tells me that all the manufacturers do this I will tell you that is not true. Ellsworth helped me on a small part without a dealer. Intense is not a big enough player to be running off consumers. But oh well.:rolleyes:
Call a second dealer, obviously that one wanted to take you for some $. I hope you didn't buy your bike from them. Maybe where you bought the bike could help.
 

·
Delirious Tuck
Joined
·
2,471 Posts
I've been happy with Intense and I bumped into the Demo truck on its east coast tour and they were super helpful to trouble shoot with me for a good chunk of time even though it was a busy demo day. They even offered to rig my Intense up with whichever of the shocks in the truck I was curious about just so I could see what my bike would be like on different shocks, let me ride them, then switch me back.

They weren't selling me a shock or a bike, but were more than happy to go out of their way to help make my riding experience better/more precise to what I wanted... but then again one of my decals is starting to peel...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I'm not sure I'd judge a bike company by their decal-freebie-give-away-policy. For the amount of $$$ I drop on one of their frames I prefer to judge them on how their FRAMES perform. If they do the job better than the others then it would be dumb to get an inferior product over a $40 decal...

PS: And judging by how hard Intense frames get ridden, I'd say almost every rider could use some new decals (I sure can). That is a LOT of free decals to be giving away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Is this true?

Sorry, but can't believe you really would base a bike purchase decision on whether or not they'll deal with you on a decal?

Buy them online like the rest of us (ebay), or write them with a return envelope and they will send some back. But to rule them out because of this is crazy. They are a small shop, and can't field the hundreds of requests each week, so they have the dealers handle this for them and make awesome bikes instead....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
I don't think it is about money as much as it is about process. Product flows through the dealers. Dealers get a little testy when their suppliers go around them. Yes, it is only a sticker, but where do you draw the line?

As a side note, manufacturers get dozens of emails a day from people requesting stickers.
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
Can't say I've ever found THE perfect bike company yet. Haven't had to deal with Intense directly just yet but it's nice that the owner posts on here.

Have to say that I'd hate to be a bike manufacturer as we are the most *****y, demanding, high expectation group of people out there-myself included. I'm not saying that the person who started this thread deserves new stickers or not. But I've seen some pretty grandiose things being posted on this site and people all upset about some pretty odd things. Kids hucking their Cannondale Ravens to flat a few years back, breaking them and getting all pissy about them not being warrantied. Some guy in the Ibis forum was all bent because he didn't cover his chainstay properly and the clear coat was all beat up from chainslap. More broken Cannondales. Some of it's justified, but there's a lot of crazy stuff out there. Must be a b!tch sifting through all of that every day.

And it's not limited to this website. I was sitting on a lift 2 years ago between a crazy friend of mine and the manager of a local bike shop who posts on here reqularly. Right from the start he went into a thousand questions about warrantying everything including his Fox helmet because he had some flaking on the clear coat-probably where he dropped it in the parking lot. I wonder how many bike shop employees get this every day.

As far as stickers go, I know that when I worked with an outdoor retailer we had at least a few people come in every day asking for our sticker bin. Wouldn't buy a thing, just wanted stickers. Eventually we just got rid of the box and told people we no longer kept them. Sticker people. They're a wierd bunch.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a Thread about some worn grips or tires needing warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
I call BS on that. How can you buy two of your bikes direct from Intense without having an inside connection? And if you have an inside connection you would also get decals from them. :confused:

Intensesaddleman said:
My wife and I own four Intense bikes between us. Durability has been an issue with my bikes but not so much for my wife's bikes. Overall, I think the bikes ride great. My problem has become customer service. I bought two of the bikes directly from Intense. I recently wanted a new decal for my wife's bike but they wouldn't deal with me. They want me to go to an authorized dealer. The dealer wants $40.00 for a set of decals. I need one small decal and they refused to help me. I will never own another Intense. Before anybody tells me that all the manufacturers do this I will tell you that is not true. Ellsworth helped me on a small part without a dealer. Intense is not a big enough player to be running off consumers. But oh well.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
I would hardly call a small decal a small vital part.

I've gone around dealers before but it was usually for a part that I needed right away for mtb trips.
 

·
Working on my Drops
Joined
·
632 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Can't say I've ever found THE perfect bike company yet. Haven't had to deal with Intense directly just yet but it's nice that the owner posts on here.

Have to say that I'd hate to be a bike manufacturer as we are the most *****y, demanding, high expectation group of people out there-myself included. I'm not saying that the person who started this thread deserves new stickers or not. But I've seen some pretty grandiose things being posted on this site and people all upset about some pretty odd things. Kids hucking their Cannondale Ravens to flat a few years back, breaking them and getting all pissy about them not being warrantied. Some guy in the Ibis forum was all bent because he didn't cover his chainstay properly and the clear coat was all beat up from chainslap. More broken Cannondales. Some of it's justified, but there's a lot of crazy stuff out there. Must be a b!tch sifting through all of that every day.

And it's not limited to this website. I was sitting on a lift 2 years ago between a crazy friend of mine and the manager of a local bike shop who posts on here reqularly. Right from the start he went into a thousand questions about warrantying everything including his Fox helmet because he had some flaking on the clear coat-probably where he dropped it in the parking lot. I wonder how many bike shop employees get this every day.

As far as stickers go, I know that when I worked with an outdoor retailer we had at least a few people come in every day asking for our sticker bin. Wouldn't buy a thing, just wanted stickers. Eventually we just got rid of the box and told people we no longer kept them. Sticker people. They're a wierd bunch.

I'm still waiting for someone to post a Thread about some worn grips or tires needing warranty.
What?!?! we can warranty tires? They are getting smaller and smoother due to defective manufacturing. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
Originally Posted by Intensesaddleman
My wife and I own four Intense bikes between us. Durability has been an issue with my bikes but not so much for my wife's bikes. Overall, I think the bikes ride great. My problem has become customer service. I bought two of the bikes directly from Intense. I recently wanted a new decal for my wife's bike but they wouldn't deal with me. They want me to go to an authorized dealer. The dealer wants $40.00 for a set of decals. I need one small decal and they refused to help me. I will never own another Intense. Before anybody tells me that all the manufacturers do this I will tell you that is not true. Ellsworth helped me on a small part without a dealer. Intense is not a big enough player to be running off consumers. But oh well.

thanks for the heads up... ...they replaced a whole frame for me no questions asked but I'll be sure to protect my stickers now:D
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
iRider said:
I call BS on that. How can you buy two of your bikes direct from Intense without having an inside connection? And if you have an inside connection you would also get decals from them. :confused:
Intense offered a grassroots sponsorship on Sponsorhouse.com. If it worked any way like Turners did, you ordered the frame directly through the manufacturer. Usually you could order one frame per year at a reduced price and that was pretty much it and the end of correspondance between the two parties. Really no option to order t-shirts, stickers, hats, etc... except at retail off their website.
I wouldn't call it an inside connection, but you're still technically ordering it from the source. I've heard that some people would order their frames from the manufacturer and then they'd pass the deal on to an LBS and give them the sale and ship the frame there.
Then you have Turner turning to an LBS (Go-Ride.com) this year and bypassing the whole process altogether and offering up a deal exclusively through that shop. Still sorta kinda direct, but not exactly.

Moral of the story: If you're savy enough you can order your frames/bikes direct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,228 Posts
Somebody call the waahmbulace.

Either suck it up and buy the sticker kit or don't. What a whiner.

Intensesaddleman said:
My wife and I own four Intense bikes between us. Durability has been an issue with my bikes but not so much for my wife's bikes. Overall, I think the bikes ride great. My problem has become customer service. I bought two of the bikes directly from Intense. I recently wanted a new decal for my wife's bike but they wouldn't deal with me. They want me to go to an authorized dealer. The dealer wants $40.00 for a set of decals. I need one small decal and they refused to help me. I will never own another Intense. Before anybody tells me that all the manufacturers do this I will tell you that is not true. Ellsworth helped me on a small part without a dealer. Intense is not a big enough player to be running off consumers. But oh well.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,769 Posts
slcrockymountainrider said:
Intense offered a grassroots sponsorship on Sponsorhouse.com. If it worked any way like Turners did, you ordered the frame directly through the manufacturer. Usually you could order one frame per year at a reduced price and that was pretty much it and the end of correspondance between the two parties. Really no option to order t-shirts, stickers, hats, etc... except at retail off their website.
I wouldn't call it an inside connection, but you're still technically ordering it from the source. I've heard that some people would order their frames from the manufacturer and then they'd pass the deal on to an LBS and give them the sale and ship the frame there.
Then you have Turner turning to an LBS (Go-Ride.com) this year and bypassing the whole process altogether and offering up a deal exclusively through that shop. Still sorta kinda direct, but not exactly.

Moral of the story: If you're savy enough you can order your frames/bikes direct.
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Even more surprising that the OP badmouths a company that helped him out in the first place. :nono:
 

·
Fragglepuss The Chaste
Joined
·
2,119 Posts
iRider said:
Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. Even more surprising that the OP badmouths a company that helped him out in the first place. :nono:
Well I don't know if that was the case with intensesaddleman's bikes or not. Just stating that it is possible.

What really sucks is that he's going to have either change his username now or live with the name of a bike company he hates.

What sucks even more is that I was in the same boat username wise a number of years back. However, given where I live I just tell people it's the mountain, not the brand:thumbsup: . And then I cry at the thought of all that money wasted on junk bikes....
 

·
Fearing the Reaper
Joined
·
192 Posts
thefriar said:
I've been happy with Intense and I bumped into the Demo truck on its east coast tour and they were super helpful to trouble shoot with me for a good chunk of time even though it was a busy demo day. They even offered to rig my Intense up with whichever of the shocks in the truck I was curious about just so I could see what my bike would be like on different shocks, let me ride them, then switch me back.

They weren't selling me a shock or a bike, but were more than happy to go out of their way to help make my riding experience better/more precise to what I wanted... but then again one of my decals is starting to peel...
x2. Dude styled me out with some new decals for my haggard Tracer VP. Good as new now. PM him.

By the way, Intense does not do the sponsorhouse thing direct. "Sponsored" riders have to go through their Intense LBS. :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
100 Posts
Man, this is a tough room.

I think the OPs point is that when you spend in the neighborhood of $8K on products from a company like Intense, you would hope that seemingly trivial items like replacement decals wouldn't be too difficult to get. Shoot, a lot of guys take them off; this guy want's to run them. I love Intense, but I can also understand his frustration.

And, I think he's right from the viewpoint of customer service. If I'm Intense and I get a call from a guy who claims to have purchased several frames and would like some new stickers, I'd probably send him the stickers for free (given that it's not cost prohibitive). Goood customer relations is a great way to keep customers loyal and that's important for any company now more than ever. Not to mention, then that same guy comes on here, talks about how cool Intense is, possibly helping to attract new customers. Sure, stickers aren't free, but neither are ads in magazines. It's all part of marketing.

That said, I think Intense is a great company for a whole lot of reasons and plan to continue to buy their products for a long time to come. I think just the fact that JS is on here says a lot about him and the company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,199 Posts
MTBAlex said:
What?!?! we can warranty tires? They are getting smaller and smoother due to defective manufacturing. :D
Well you actually can.:D Specialized will swap out any of their tires, no questions asked. I had a problem with getting a 2Bliss tire to seat with a floor pump and they swapped it. I recently read that my Eskars were being replaced with a new, modified model. I asked about it and they offered to replace them.

Ronnie.
 
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Top