Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is an '01 Trek. The derailleur is original, I think. It's an XT RD-M750 long cage. This bike used to be 9 speed but after swapping brakes and wheels with a different bike, I ended up with 8 speed shifters and an 8 speed cassette.

My shifting right now is perfect so there's no big rush to change anything but I would like to go back to 9 speeds. I'm thinking of getting some XT M770 shifters. However, in the description is the following: "Separate shift levers best used with RD-M770 top normal rear derailleur"

Is there a reason I can't use these shifters with the RD-M750?

Thanks!

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Tweezak said:
My bike is an '01 Trek. The derailleur is original, I think. It's an XT RD-M750 long cage. This bike used to be 9 speed but after swapping brakes and wheels with a different bike, I ended up with 8 speed shifters and an 8 speed cassette.

My shifting right now is perfect so there's no big rush to change anything but I would like to go back to 9 speeds. I'm thinking of getting some XT M770 shifters. However, in the description is the following: "Separate shift levers best used with RD-M770 top normal rear derailleur"

Is there a reason I can't use these shifters with the RD-M750?

Thanks!
they will work, are you changing the dérailleur & cassette also? if not it will still be 8 speed and you will have 1 extra click on the shifter.
that line about best used refers to rapid rise vs. top normal dérailleurs. they recommend the dual control shifters for rapid rise but it works as well either way

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah...I'm getting a cassette also. Thanks for the answer.

The dilemma I face now is whether I should just bag the old setup and get a Sram X.9 shifter and derailleur combo for $144. What do you think?

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.