Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 09 Epic with a RockShox Sid fork. Does anyone know if I can put a 650b wheelset on it?

I'm debating if I should pull the trigger and order a new Epic. But not sure I'm ready to purchase a 29er. I'm still stuck in the 26" days. I'm going to test ride one ASAP to see if I like them. But at the same time I think a 650b might be the way for me to go and I am expecting to see Specialized to come out with one next year. If they do come out with a 650b Epic. I don't want to be shooting myself in the foot for buying a 29er. I think a 650b Epic Expert Carbon WC would be right up my alley.
Of course I have never ridden a 650b so that is reasoning for my post. I just wanted to see if it was possible to squeeze another year out of my bike and try out the 650b at the same time.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
A few of the Epic model years accept 650's. I think the '09 had to be the carbon. '10 it was aluminum. Sid's typically do not work.

Try a specific search in here, and in Specialized forum.

As for the big S coming out with a 27.5 Epic they're not specifically saying. Those were my first inclination of what bike they'd be putting out after seeing a post on here with a link to 650 "Fast Track" tire in their lineup. I inquired about ordering some and the following week they had some 650 tires come in without a shop order. No Fast Tracks tho. Just Ground Control and Purgatory which is great. All I'm getting from talking to the shop guys is the reps telling them to "look at what Specialized tires are on your racks now. That should tell you what style bikes are coming". i.e. Stumpy most likely.

Keep in mind, back in the day, Specialized came out with "tires" before they had any bikes being produced.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is the Carbon Expert so I might have a chance on the rear. But looks like I'm out of luck on the fork. Unless of course I can steel a fork off another bike and make it work. I'll have to look around and see what I have that might work or what I can get.
So in your opinion you don't think they will come out with an epic in the 27.5? I don't want a HT 27.5. I hoping for a race worthy FS 27.5 :madman:
I was picking my LBS brain and he acted like he thought they will be releasing something but didn't really say model.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
If there isn't an Epic 27.5, you can always check out the Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5.
It would be my race bike of choice for my riding style.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
So in your opinion you don't think they will come out with an epic in the 27.5? I don't want a HT 27.5. I hoping for a race worthy FS 27.5 :madman:
I was picking my LBS brain and he acted like he thought they will be releasing something but didn't really say model.
Not sure. Like I said, assuming Epic with seeing the Fast Tracks. But the shop manager (that was going to call and check with their purchasing guy) didn't even know they were offering 27.5 tires. And Spec is their main line. Then the shipment of tires came in following week. And no specifics on model. Weird. At least Santa Cruz seems to give a hint of what they're coming out with and a time frame.

I have a 650 ht, and a converted 3.2 Superlight that the 2.0 Fast Tracks would work great on.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know a guy that sells Giant. Not sure which bike he has but he loves it. I'm sure he would be more than happy to sell me one. But I also have a good friend that sells Specialized and he give's me some deals that are usually too hard to pass up. I'm still waiting on a day that I can go test ride a Epic 29er. That will answer a lot of my questions. Reading countless pros and cons about all the options out there are almost becoming useless to me. I see advantages & disadvantages on all wheel sizes.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
What is your body size? I know for a lot of taller riders, say 5'9ish and above, the 29r is best. Yes, there are shorter guys such as myself @~5'-6.5", and women riding them without issues. Having had 2 ht's and a fs of my own in the big wheels I admit they do have their advantages, after several years with all 3 wheel sizes in my quiver I have settled in with the 2 tweener wheel bikes mentioned above. For now....

That being said, I went on a lengthy/altitude type outing last weekend with a ride buddy that warranted a bike with multiple gears which setup I don't have presently(ss and 1x9). I rode his mid-level carbon Stumpjumper 29 hardtail. Although I would normally ride a small in their sizing, his is a medium and other than lowering the seat to bridge the gap in our height difference, was amazed on how good it felt. Right off the bat. I can only imagine how an Epic in carbon and the same build would have ridden. Those or the newer carbon Camber. All the more reason I have not demo'd one. Just not in the budget....

Giant Anthem was mentioned. Another great XC bike. Don't let the "xc" let you think of only buffed fast trails. I have several riding buddies with both the 29 and 27.5 versions. They are KOM killers on them and on "not so xc" terrain, up and down aswell. Literally smoking other riders on 120-150 travel setups. Actually two of them with similar stature have switched from one wheel size Anthem to the other. One from 29-27.5-29. The other the opposite. If you are more of the aggressive XC/Trail types I would look into these Maestro suspension rigs along with the Camber.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your body size? I know for a lot of taller riders, say 5'9ish and above, the 29r is best. Yes, there are shorter guys such as myself @~5'-6.5", and women riding them without issues.
I'm at 5'8 which is why I question if I want to go clear up to 29. I have a friend that he and his wife are pretty short and HATE 29er with a passion. But you can't pry them away from their 27.5 Giant. But like you I know some shorter people that love the 29er. My wife is shorter than me and she thinks I would like a 29er and see's no reason for the 650b that it really only 1" larger than a 26". She had a small Niner and I road it and although the frame was too small for me the bike still felt big. That is another reason I'm afraid I wouldn't like a 29er. She now has a Specialize Carve (29") it's a small frame but I have never had a chance to ride it on a trail to see what I think of it. I'm going to do my best to get a friends Epic 29er and take it to a local trail tomorrow and see what it feels like. If I like it I'm pretty sure I'll have a Epic Expert Carbom WC on order within the next day or 2. If not. Then I'll be back to the drawing board and might try some kind of a 650 conversion.

Here is my thread from a few years back. I know any 2010-2011 model with an aluminum rear would fit. I am pretty sure that the 2009 used the same rear triangle, but I have never compared them side by side so I don't know for sure.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5-650b/what-year-specialized-epics-fit-650b-697212.html
Thanks, man! Lot's of valuable info there. I haven't got to read through it all but I think a lot of my questions can be answered there.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
Oooh, you had to say WC model! Man those are drool worthy for sure. I know you have an Epic already, but another great 650 conversion race type frame is the 26" BlurXCc. Finding a frame now from the SC online store might be tough, and pricey.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I ordered the new Epic Saturday. It will be in later this week. Ordered the WC in black. Now I have to ramp up my fitness to earn my rides. That bike will be way faster than me.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
What gets me is that how people get stuck onto one brand and won't even consider others.
Also height doesn't always dictate what wheel size you should riding, it's what suits your riding best, I'm 6', I race XC, most of my rides are tough climbs, tons of single track and pretty much of it is on the technical side of things, I hate 29ers. Most of my riding friends are on 29ers, I don't give up nothing to them on this terrain. I ride a converted SC Blur XCc.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm stuck on the big S because I can get better deals on them than another bike. I love the brain on their shocks (who else makes a brain shock?) and with the terrain I regularly ride on it just works for me. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I'm 6', I race XC, most of my rides are tough climbs, tons of single track and pretty much of it is on the technical side of things, I hate 29ers. Most of my riding friends are on 29ers, I don't give up nothing to them on this terrain. I ride a converted SC Blur XCc.
Don't be a hater, especially when you do what you do to your buddies on their 29r's. :)You do notice how I always plug your bike setup! ;) I'm fine tuning my SL conversion. Working out great so far. Would love to have had an XCc to build up if it was in my budget.

sl frnt.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Im not really a hater..just laugh when someone( I know a few) who have a big S helmet, glasses, shoes, socks, gloves, seat pack, bottle cages, bottles and possibly, but not really sure a Big S wallet, key chain, jacket, dog bed and underwear...
While JMac47, you always do plug my bike and I thank you for that, but my bike is just so badass, how couldn't ya..(kinda kidding).
The point I'm trying to make is, just try other stuff and don't get caught in a rut of one particular brand, you might end up with all the same brand in the long run, but don't limit yourself.

·
NedwannaB
12,765 Posts
I will admit I do have some of the 'S' clothing paraphanailia, I just ordered a Santa Cruz sticker for my campershell. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts