Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To hold off new full suspension for no good reason itis?

New headbadge and pivot kit for my 2004 salty.

and a 1996 new old stock mongoose iboc carbon frameset that I got for a paltry 200 bucks and have just about enough parts to build up cheaply...

Been kicking around a new fully, for no good reason. Hopefully these little things do the trick.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Maybe...

After all - you're in Michigan.
The riding isn't that good right now. - I know I'm stuck in Northern Indiana.

And you're not 'Fo. ;)

If you were looking... what looks tempting for Michigan and beyond riding?

JmZ

Green Giant said:
To hold off new full suspension for no good reason itis?

New headbadge and pivot kit for my 2004 salty.

and a 1996 new old stock mongoose iboc carbon frameset that I got for a paltry 200 bucks and have just about enough parts to build up cheaply...

Been kicking around a new fully, for no good reason. Hopefully these little things do the trick.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Just work the figures for the new bike and stare at the new price tag. Then realize for a fraction of the price, you can just put some new bits on your current rig to keep it running for another year or two. Besides, next year will be the year that Ventana will ... That's how I work through it, anyway.

I also just purchased a head badge and pivot for my 04 Salty. How strange is that? I've also got some new cranks I'm going to put on - but not now. I think I'll wait until winter is over and then give it a major overhaul - new pivot, cranks, chain, cassette, cables, and head badge. I'm not riding right now anyway and I'd rather wait until all the snow is gone before I dress up the bike with new bits. I just put new tires, grips, and handlebars on, so I've got enough to get me through the winter. :D

Building up another bike is always a good winter project. What niche would the project bike fill?

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carbon goose

I only wish it was one of the dual top tubes.

Looking into it more, I think it's a 95, but it weighs 3lb, 10oz, so it's light. I'm going to build it up with all my older weight weenie parts for the most part, should build up around 22-24lbs I think...

95 mongoose carbon frame - 18 inch
zokes superfly fork, with all of 2.5 inches of acutal travel.
king hubs, sun 0 deg rims, alloy nips, db spokes (unless I have to rebuild them)
03 xt octalink cranks
99 sram 9.0sl r.der (real light)
8spd sram 9.0 sl twisties
8 spd xtr Ti cassette
avid mag v's
avid ultimate levers
some light Titec seat I have (ithys)
ritchey pro stem
f.der tbd
seatpost - thomson
heatset - tbd
tires - revolt X's

only need to buy a few more parts, but most of the parts I had (picked up those king wheels for sub 200 bucks)

I'll probably ride it about 3 times, think it beats the hell out of me, and it will sit...

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Will it be enough?

No

But you knew that already, didn't cha?

Sparty will start dropping some hoops games, you'll get bored and then you'll be back here asking for our suggestions on a new 4k dualie.

:D
"enough" is such a relative word.....

·
Bodhisattva
10,843 Posts
FoShizzle said:
ha ha....as much as I would love Aquadouche's bike, WAY out of my league in terms of patience required to have bike complete :)
Tomorrow is out of your league in terms of patience.

PS. As much as I admire that bike, there ain't no way in hell I'd wait 2 years for one. Now if only Mr.Eriksen would get started on mine. :(

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
The Squeaky Wheel said:
Tomorrow is out of your league in terms of patience.

PS. As much as I admire that bike, there ain't no way in hell I'd wait 2 years for one. Now if only Mr.Eriksen would get started on mine. :(
yeah...I am actually (sort of) starting to feel bad for you. as much as I hate you, am anxiously awaiting detaills about your next build.

now go piss off!

·
Negative Rep Points!!!!
4,208 Posts
Speaking of Impatience

FoShizzle said:
ha ha....as much as I would love Aquadouche's bike, WAY out of my league both in terms of price, and patience required to have bike complete :)
Speaking of being impatient.... FauxNipple emailed to say that he stood in line to see Broke Back Mountain the other day, and the line was too long, so he bailed.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
a quick search on brokeback mountain and now i'm left with a coffee sprayed all over my computer screen. thanks fellas.

on another note...speaking on behalf of my fellow Montanans. Sheep are actually cozier.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
actually

Green Giant said:
I'll probably ride it about 3 times, think it beats the hell out of me, and it will sit...
those frames were really smooth..... actually flexy to the point of breakage is probably a better term.

With what you're building it up with i'd say you will easily hit that 23# range. Probably the perfect michigan tight singletrack type of bike.

the derailleur....the 9.0 SL . Is it the white one or the 'WOody' model ? Sram was doing all kinds of marketing at that time to help sell their shifters and derailleurs....the even had the american flag model.

·
11 is one louder than 10
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I reckon that

nwmtb said:
those frames were really smooth..... actually flexy to the point of breakage is probably a better term.

- Limited use will probably be best on that frame beneath my 210 or so lbs...

the derailleur....the 9.0 SL . Is it the white one or the 'WOody' model ? Sram was doing all kinds of marketing at that time to help sell their shifters and derailleurs....the even had the american flag model.
Nope, wish I had the woody model, or the US flag. A friend of mine has the flag model on a red, blue and silver Klein hardtail, it's, well, a loud bike.

just the faux carbon model

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.