Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a front I.S. adapter to fit a 203 brake rotor and found a Lifeline (200 IS front/180 IS rear)
Will it fit?

If I run across a 180 rear adapter in my pile then I'll know it'll be good for 200.

The bike has a side mounted I.S. bracket on the fork and the caliper is a post Avid BB7.

Very hard to find the dimensions of the adapters to see whats different.

Is there a general rule of thumb to know when to replace the rotor when thickness of metal is to thin?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I think a common brake problem is people trying to fit a 203 rotor on an adapter set up for 200. But who knows, someone one here will probably tell you they've run their bike that way for years.

As for thickness, most rotors have minimum thickness stamped somewhere on the rotor.

·
B A N N E D
5,393 Posts
Very hard to find the dimensions of the adapters to see whats different.
There would be 1.5mm difference between a 200mm and 203mm adapter.
The radius of a 200mm rotor is 100mm, the radius of a 203mm rotor is 101.5mm.
You could use a 200mm adapter with a 203mm rotor but you would probably need to shim the caliper 1.5mm outwards.

Is there a general rule of thumb to know when to replace the rotor when thickness of metal is to thin?
A lot of rotors are 1.8mm thick when new, they usually list a minimum thickness of 1.5mm.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You get 203mm IS adapters.

If you use the 200, add an additional washer to each bolt.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.