Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Marin Quad XC for 5 years now, and my riding has been getting more and more "intense". For the last few months I've been riding almost exclusively on technical all mountain terrain with borderline downhill descents.

I have abused my Fox Float R over the last few years and it really can't handle the terrain that I'm taking it on. I have been looking to upgrade. I was looking at something like the RockShox Monarch, but then I found the Fox Vanilla R which would fit my bike.

The Vanilla R seems like it would really be perfect for the type of riding that I do, but it's a pretty old model, and I wanted to ask around before dishing out $75 and then regretting it.

P.S. I'm pretty much the opposite of a weight weenie, so I really don't mind how much it weighs.

EDIT: This also seems really nice because of the price. I'm a starving artists, so $75 for a shock that will handle rough descents seems really nice.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The biggest thing with the Quad frames and coil shocks is the clearances required to run a coil shock. You would be wise to make absolutely sure you can fit the shock before you buy it. The lower shock mount and the available space in that area is what you want to check.
If you stick with an air shock, then something like a Monarch RT3 could be worth looking at.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
It might. As mentioned, the fit may be the major issue. In my mind, coil shocks are still substantially better than air shocks - especially Fox stuff. Push used to modify them as well but I don't think they do anymore. A pushed Vanilla R was a surprisingly nice shock.

·
J:
5,128 Posts
I've had my Marin Quad XC for 5 years now,...

The Vanilla R seems like it would really be perfect for the type of riding that I do, but it's a pretty old model, and I wanted to ask around before dishing out $75 and then regretting it.

P.S. I'm pretty much the opposite of a weight weenie, so I really don't mind how much it weighs.QUOTE]

You will regret waiting so long.. get a coil setup tuned for you.. do not wait any longer.. do it right, maybe search for a proper frame geometry.. save some, sell and start from scratch

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies, it seems like a coil shock would be great if I can get it to work.

The biggest thing with the Quad frames and coil shocks is the clearances required to run a coil shock. You would be wise to make absolutely sure you can fit the shock before you buy it. The lower shock mount and the available space in that area is what you want to check.
Shouldn't the Vanilla be a similar size to the Float R? What should I check to make sure that it will fit on my Quad?

instead of wasting money trying to make your CX frame more AM, I would just find a more capable frame like Wolf Ridge if you like Marin.
I would love to start over with a new frame, but that's out of the question for me. Like I said, I'm a starving artist (actually a college student), and a $75 shock is much more "doable" than a whole new frame. Besides, the Quad XC frame is pretty bomb-proof, so I'm not too worried.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Unless it's been serviced recently, the nitrogen charge is gone and you'll have a pogo stick for a shock (which is most likely why it's for sale). Figure another $50 for a proper rebuild. Worth it? Questionable.

Have FUN!

G MAN

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
I have. The one I'm looking to buy comes with a 700# spring, and according to online calculators that should be perfect for me.
You are much better off spending your money on a rebuild of the shock you have.

$75 or even $150 will just get you another abused shock that needs work, at which point coil or air is irrelevant. Although after 5 years your Float might be beyond help anyway.

re: coil shock, don't do it, no coil worth having fits in a Marin Quad XC frame, that old Vanilla R is even worse than your Float...

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Some real hatred for coil shocks in here.

A vanilla R is a good shock. Not a great shock simply because it's low on adjustments but I've ridden one for years instead of a float, I did revalve it for my own goals but that's another story.
The nitrogen charge rarely leaks, it's easy to test by pushing on the shaft. With the spring removed it shouldn't move until significant force is applied and it should extend smoothly on it's own.
If it does, then the nitrogen charge is good and it's ready to ride.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some real hatred for coil shocks in here.

A vanilla R is a good shock. Not a great shock simply because it's low on adjustments but I've ridden one for years instead of a float, I did revalve it for my own goals but that's another story.
The nitrogen charge rarely leaks, it's easy to test by pushing on the shaft. With the spring removed it shouldn't move until significant force is applied and it should extend smoothly on it's own.
If it does, then the nitrogen charge is good and it's ready to ride.
Well, maybe I will just abuse my Float R for a few more seasons while I save for a beefy all mountain frame. The Quad XC is a great frame, just a little lacking on the rear suspension.

I only weigh 140lbs (and rising as I workout more, thanks to ROTC), but I ride almost exclusively on rock (granite), and it gets very rough on the steep descents.

·
Registered
6,098 Posts
I say go coil 100%. Even if you have to get the thing rebuilt by someone like suspension experts, it will be worth it. The ride of a coil shock is substantially better than your typical, run of the mill Fox shock.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well, maybe I will just abuse my Float R for a few more seasons while I save for a beefy all mountain frame. The Quad XC is a great frame, just a little lacking on the rear suspension.

I only weigh 140lbs (and rising as I workout more, thanks to ROTC), but I ride almost exclusively on rock (granite), and it gets very rough on the steep descents.
Get the coil shock.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Have you used both coil and air?
Yes, many of each. I currently own in excess of 20 rear shocks of all types, yet I run coil springs front and rear on the bikes I ride the most.

Coil shocks simply perform better for my riding. The only air spring fork/shock I have been impressed with to date is the Manitou Dorado.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have a Reign SX with a Domain RC and a Kage RC both coil. Eventhough I like the overall performance I will switch to air for two main reasons. Weight and pedalling performance. If I was mainly going downhill I would keep it as it is but since I am also going uphill the current combo isn't ideal.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.