Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little help please. I have a 03' Fisher Sugar 3+. I am installing XT cranks on it and going with two chainrings up front with a Salsa Trials bash guard in place of the big ring.

Do I need to install a roller guide with this setup or will it work fine on it's own. Also what other mods will I have to make by doing this? Links out of the chain, derailluer placement, etc.?

Thanks for everyones help.

·
6x7=Dont Panic!
2,014 Posts
I dont think youll have a problem. I had a problem with my 1x9 fs, but I got a rohloff guide. With the 2x9 it wont fall off on the right with a bashguard and it wont fall off the granny and more than usual if ever. I say just go 1x9. You lose the front derailleur and shifter and granny and save more weight. How often do you use that granny?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tend to run the granny gear a lot more than the big ring. I live in the NE and sometimes need it to get up those big hills. Sure I could push my bike but that wouldn't look so cool!!!

Thanks for the help though, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
As long as you're...

...running a front mech you need nothing and don't even change your front mech limits screws. You don't need to as the basher won't grab the chain - i.e. even if you make the shift to the big ring it will go nowhere.

For 1x8(or 9) I run an e13 chainguide to keep everything proper. Kinda depends on if you are riding HT or FS. My friends who 1x8s his HT running the Rohloff device and it works great.

Sean

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would think you would take some links out of the chain. Use the same rule as you would if you were running a triple up front. Wrap the chain around your biggest ring up front and the big cog in teh back and add 2 links. This will probably improve your shifting too.

I could be wrong, but I think I'm right :D that's how it usually is.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got everything installed. The Salsa Bash Guard took the big ring off. Also took out about 2 full links of chain to tighten everything up a bit. Repositioned the derail. as well. Works like a champ. Haven't missed gears or jumped off yet. Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.