Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2009 nomad late summer and i opted for the dhx air. i mainly do AM with the occasional XC and a fair amount of FR. Im not digging the 2010 DHX air that i got with it for the downs and large jumps but i love it for the propedal and how light it is.

so my question is, how well does the nomad pedal with the dhx coil? Will i miss the dhx air on the rear?

weight isn't too much of a concern. i already have a Ti coil sitting in my house wanting to be used.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
the dhx air is a better rear shock on that bike, but even a coil will not make it feel the way you want.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dansMTB said:
How much do you weigh? Just curious if your a lighter rider or a clyde.
probably 190 with gear. im having the usual dhx air problems i have had on all of my bikes that have had them. wallowing in the midstroke, poor small bump sensitivity but bottoming out on small drops, and very unreliable feel.
I have had the same problems on my other bikes but it seems the VPP2 suspension is really bringing out the worse in the DHX air.

if money wasn't tight id go with an elka. got one on my DH bike and im in love.

·
Banned
1,391 Posts
climbingbubba said:
Which way would that be?
You say in your other post you have a DH bike, so, its safe to assume you want the nomad to track as much like one as possible when going downhill.

Yes it pedals well, but to achieve this they removed any small bump sensitivity it had compared to the old nomad. If you want small bump you are going to have to run much less air, and it will most likely blow through travel and bottom often with the dhx air.

I went through 4 shocks on mine, and was not able to attain the killer dh ride that i enjoyed so much of my previous nomad's (yes, multiple). i have a buddy who did the same, trying more shocks than i,he also gave up on the bike like i did.

In total, i know of 4 people who have all sold there 09's b/c the rear suspension is f'd. (all of those people come from a DH background) If you know how a properly setup suspension is suppose to work, i doubt you will be able to get it dialed perfectly to your liking. To bad really. They made a rad looking bike with dope pivots. To bad it didn't ride that way.

edit: and if you search around on here you should be able to find a bunch of posts about people inquiring how to make it more small bump responsive

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think the problem isn't with the frame. I have the DHX air on my Bullit (coz I had the crazy idea to save some weight on that bike) and it has poor (or none at all) small bump sensitivity too.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
dmx1 said:
I think the problem isn't with the frame. I have the DHX air on my Bullit (coz I had the crazy idea to save some weight on that bike) and it has poor (or none at all) small bump sensitivity too.
It is with the frame. I am one of the riders SJensen speaks about. I also tried multiple shocks (4) on my 09 to try make it as good as a descender as the 08 & 07 I owned, or the 08 RFX it replaced (bad move on my part)....all failed. Bike climbs great, descends like crap, especially if you compare it to one of the current 5-6" bikes the competitors offer.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Avy Mod

I have 3 different shocks that I use for my 09 Nomad, and I am very happy with all of them. I use the Monarch that came with it for longer XC rides, I have a 2008 DHX air that I use for more aggressive trail and I just got a Manitou swinger 6 way rebuilt by Avalanche racing that I plan on using for DH and FR type terrain.

I had been real happy with the DHX, I think they might have changed the shock around a bit from 2008 to 09' so my shock might not perform like yours. The DHXA does have a pretty week mid stroke and will bottom easily if you are doing drops over 6ft. I think the shock is incredible for what it was disigned for though. If you are hammering in the middle ring through rough sections of trail the shock is perfect, it soaks up everything.

The Avy rebuilt swinger is really freaking amazing though. I only have a few rides on it so far but it has been incredible as of yet. It has several adjustments: Separate High and low speed compression adjustments, and bottom out control. Avy basically removes the SPV damper and puts in their speed sensitive version. The result is a very soft beginning stroke that takes the small bumps well, the rest of the stroke is very progressive and feels absolutely bottomless. For DH and Free ride stuff, the rebuilt 6 way is worlds ahead of the DHXA. The best thing about the Avy shock was the price. I bought a new 2005 swinger off ebay for 60 bucks, had them send it directly to avalanche and they do the overhaul for $179. I found a new 400lb coil online for 18 bucks. So I have a custom tuned shock for just over $250. If you can find a used 5th element or swinger than you can do the same thing, there seems to be tons of these shocks on pinkbike and ebay in 8.5 x 2.5.
Here is a link to the Avy rebuild:
http://www.avalanchedownhillracing.com/5th element speed sensitive conversion.htm
You might want to think about the avy shock as folks have been whining about the DHX coil on the New Nomad; or a new elka or RC4.

I think you have to keep in mind how versatile the Nomad really is. You can use the same bike for 5 hour cross county rides with 4000ft of climibing and the lift served DH park with a few parts switches. The avy rebuilt swinger does not pedal like the monarch or the DHX and it is almost a pound heavier, so its no good for epic trail rides.
I have to say that I completely disagree with folks who say that the new Nomad is a step down in DH performance from the old rig. I had the original Nomad for 2 seasons. It was a fantastic bike but the new one is better, in every way, Period. I also have 4 friends who are DH biased riders who have switched from the old version to the new and everyone feels the same way. (One is a pro class DH guy, the others all have v10's) The only problem we have had with the new bike is the lower pivots eventfully get lose; this however is an easy fix.
Good luck

·
Registered
430 Posts
My Heckler with RP23 gave me the same troubles (either too much pressure at small bump expense or it would bottom easily). I solved this on my previous gen Heckler by getting the std air can, but thats a no go with the 8.5x2.5 as fox doesnt have std in that size.

I fiound this thread in the Turner forums, and have been wanting to give it a try but havent been able to yet. It should allow for you to run a lower psi in the can which will ramp up towards the end of the stroke.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=503070&highlight=rp23

If you are able to give it a shot I would be really interested in your feedback. Good luck!!

·
Registered
82 Posts
inkpad said:
It is with the frame. I am one of the riders SJensen speaks about. I also tried multiple shocks (4) on my 09 to try make it as good as a descender as the 08 & 07 I owned, or the 08 RFX it replaced (bad move on my part)....all failed. Bike climbs great, descends like crap, especially if you compare it to one of the current 5-6" bikes the competitors offer.
Weird. My '10 Nomad with a RC4 descends like a champ with plenty of small bump sensitivity.

I must be doing something wrong.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the main problem and dislike above all the rest is how it pops off jumps. as you are going up the lip and preload the suspension it blows through the travel and absorbs alot of the pop. I bought the bike for more XC/AM stuff but am a really aggresive rider and if i find a 15 foot gap on an XC trail ill hit it.

to clear it up, i don't want it to be a DH bike. i already have one for that. I had an intense SS and sold it because it was to DHish and wanted something for longer trails and i hated clipping my pedals on rocky uphills.

I found a good deal on a 2009 fox dhx 5.0 so i might try that and if it doesn't work then maybe i can save for an elka.

thanks guys

·
Registered
682 Posts
I switched from a Monarch to a RP23 with Boost Valve. Huge difference in small bump and tracking. And it nicely ramps up like a coil. Just spent a week in Moab on it and it took everything I had to throw at it.

Just another option for you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
vermintrex said:
Weird. My '10 Nomad with a RC4 descends like a champ with plenty of small bump sensitivity.

I thought mine was riding pretty decent too with a PUSH mod MX tune, until I rode something else with the same shock, & was blown away on how much better the bike worked, even with less travel. I really wanted to keep the Nomad, loved the way it looked, hit drops & jumps pretty nice, just would get bounced around in the fast chunk. Glad you all are stoked with your Nomads, not trying to put the bike down at all.

Cheers

·
Registered
777 Posts
philshep said:
I switched from a Monarch to a RP23 with Boost Valve. Huge difference in small bump and tracking. And it nicely ramps up like a coil. Just spent a week in Moab on it and it took everything I had to throw at it.

Just another option for you :thumbsup:
With you 100% on that one. Both my 2010 S/C BlurLT2 and BlurLT2 c have the 2010 Fox rp-23 Boost Valve. This is the BEST rear air shock, I have ever owned. It's that good. When I had my- 2009 Intense Tracer Vpp w/ Fox rp-23. I was always blowing the ring off the shock shaft. Not once has this happen with the 2010 Fox rp-23 BV. Fox is really on top of their game now.

·
Fat Guy Riding
877 Posts
PUSH MX Tune. I didn't notice the small bump issues that other have until it was gone (I suppose I just wasn't so sensitive to it), but now that I've got the MX tune and spring rate dialed in, this bike works exceptionally well. Very planted in the back.

Now, what did I give up? Pedaling. It does not pedal as well as it did with a stock shock. Is it bad? Not at all. I don't mind it one bit and don't have any issues, but did it used to pedal better? Yes.

·
yelgatgab
459 Posts
dansMTB said:
cb, try this mod before you drop the coin on a new shock. If you search for DGC threads, he has another one where he discusses this mod on the DHXa. I did it on the Monarch using a cutup CD-R spindle cover for the shim. It made a noticeable difference in the performance of the bike. I was finding that if I lowered the air pressure and got max recommended sag, I was blowing through the travel, and the bike would just squat and spike through the rough stuff. It performed much better with a bit more air in it and a bit less sag. This hurt the small bump sensitivity, but improved its pop off of jumps and its ability to track and stay active through really rough sections at speed. With the shim, I was able to fix this somewhat by lowering the air pressure and improving the small bump sensitivity, but also prevent it from blowing through the travel.

That helped a lot, but I still ended up getting rid of it. I loved a lot of things about the bike, but small bump sensitivity wasn't one of them. I got frustrated and sold it to a buddy that is enjoying the hell out of it.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've been riding since 1992, have plenty of background and bikes informing my opinion, and my Mk2 with an RC4 also descends like a champ with plenty of small bump sensitivity.

I think the real issue here is people wanting the Nomad to feel like it's a downhill bike, or they are having issues adjusting their shocks, or a combination of both. It's not a downhill bike.

vermintrex said:

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, now im considering the 2010 fox rp23 for it.

Right now im torn between going with the rp23 and a talas 36 and make it more XCish or to go with a coil rear and a lyrik 170 dh and making it more FRish.

leaning towards the xcish since i already have a 38lb dh bike. a 30lb nomad would be pretty sweet for the local xc trails.

would the rp23 hold up to some abuse though? a few cased jumps and such

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
msylvan said:
I've been riding since 1992, have plenty of background and bikes informing my opinion, and my Mk2 with an RC4 also descends like a champ with plenty of small bump sensitivity.

I think the real issue here is people wanting the Nomad to feel like it's a downhill bike, or they are having issues adjusting their shocks, or a combination of both. It's not a downhill bike.
I wanted the new Nomad to descend as well as my 08 Nomad, & as well as my 08 RFX, both of which were great bikes. I got it close, but it never tracked in the rough & held it's line like the other bikes. Don't get me wrong, it is not a bad descender, but there are other 5.5"-6" travel all mountain bikes that are better. The new DW Spot is one of them :thumbsup:

For the record, I actually like setting up suspension & trying new settings, do it all the time, plus almost everyone I know or ride with are also very capable suspension tuners, so that is definitely not the issue. I will say this, that bike was badass looking though :eek:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts