Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new bike and getting a little overwhelmed looking at all my options. I have way too many questions, but I'll try to just ask one at a time.

I've been riding a schwinn hardtail for the past 2 years and want/need a trail-worthy bike before this next fall. It has always been my understanding that I would not be able to afford a good FS (~1000 budget), so I've resigned myself to shopping for hardtails.

Now I've come across a used Jamis dakar xc that comes in under my budget, and this has given me hope that I might be able to find a FS in my price and be happy with it. The person has upgraded the fork to a fox F-100 RL
My only 2 concerns with this bike are the size (its a 17 and Im 6') and the fact that its a XC, and not a trail or AM bike.
80-90% of the riding I do would probly fall under the XC category, but there are a few trails that my buddy loves to ride on his hifi that include some nasty rock gardens and a few 3-4 ft drops. I'm worried that an XC bike would not be able to handle these and I would be pushing the bike past its potential.

If the Jamis is a no-go I would probly fall back to a gary fisher tassajara or trek 6500 (if I feel like really stretching my budget), but I still dont look forward to riding those trails on a hardtail.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I wish I could talk with a local bike shop and have them pick me out a bike that fits my needs perfectly without having them just picking the most expensive model from whatever brand they carrry. but hey, thats what the internet is for, right?:D

·
Registered
242 Posts
17 might be to small for your size.Dakar has had some break issues and a 100 mm shock is a little short for 4 foot drops at your size.

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are some cons to having a frame thats too small? The seller said this bike has broken the chainstay once, and it was covered under warranty and replaced. Could I assume that the replacement part will not have the same issue?

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would not think the replacement part is better.It might be might not.Frame to small can result in back pain and uncomfortable ride.The trek 6700 is a nice ride.The Dakar if your doing mainly XC would be fine if it were 18 to 19 inch.Other than taking 4 foot drops.You could ride it and see how it feels.

·
Arnold
44 Posts
Coppertopperwhopperhopper said:
what are some cons to having a frame thats too small?
Oh, don't underestimate an undersized frame. If you ride it enough, you will definitely hate it. I'm your height and I commute regularly on my bike. I used to have a 17.5" frame bike, and rode it about 80-100km per week. At first it was OK, then I started noticing how uncomfortable it was, and even bought a longer sit post, yet, it still was raised above the limit, and my legs still weren't properly extended. My upper body also felt weird. After a few months, I developed some nasty pain in my right knee and couldn't walk down the stairs without feeling pain. And it sucked, 'cause I also hike a lot. I finally ditched that bike and got a 20" frame bike. Now everything is a totally different story! No more pain. Knee is doing fine...even though the pain does come back a little when I make my legs work a lot, but it's almost completely healed by now, and it's being a year since I developed this pain. So take my advice and buy a properly sized bike for yourself.

59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Arnold said:
Oh, don't underestimate an undersized frame. If you ride it enough, you will definitely hate it. I'm your height and I commute regularly on my bike. I used to have a 17.5" frame bike, and rode it about 80-100km per week. At first it was OK, then I started noticing how uncomfortable it was, and even bought a longer sit post, yet, it still was raised above the limit, and my legs still weren't properly extended. My upper body also felt weird. After a few months, I developed some nasty pain in my right knee and couldn't walk down the stairs without feeling pain. And it sucked, 'cause I also hike a lot. I finally ditched that bike and got a 20" frame bike. Now everything is a totally different story! No more pain. Knee is doing fine...even though the pain does come back a little when I make my legs work a lot, but it's almost completely healed by now, and it's being a year since I developed this pain. So take my advice and buy a properly sized bike for yourself.
Thanks for this great advice.
I've recently found another FS bike for around my budget. A Giant trance, with an 18' frame; but I guess thats not much better.:sad:

·
Arnold
44 Posts
Coppertopperwhopperhopper said:
Thanks for this great advice.
I've recently found another FS bike for around my budget. A Giant trance, with an 18' frame; but I guess thats not much better.:sad:
It also depends on how long your legs are. I have longer legs, so 20" worked for me, actually, even 21" would be better, but then I also like to keep my bike light. You need to sit on a bike and make sure that your legs are properly extended. Then you will know what frame size works for you. 18" is likely still too small.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am 6 foot talla nd ride a medium Stumpy and dont seem to have any problems with the size if anything it feels more nnimble to me but everyone is built different.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts