Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a HT and find that i'm thrown aroud too much on it and it doesn't give me the confidence i want to do that jump, or clear that log going uphill. Maybe its because i dont want my tail to lose traction?

Current bike: Spec Rockhopper SL Pro
Want: Trek EX Fuel 7 or Spec SJ FSR Comp $2k

Will these longer travel FS bikes help me gain the confidence i dont have in the "advanced" trails that i'm riding?

If so, Which of the above bikes is the better one for XC riding? Some logs, some small jumps maximum of 2 feet, some rocks, wet leaves, etc. If you have another suggestion other than the 2 above, please suggest at the $2k range.

·
Registered
140 Posts
in a word...Yes. Either one of those bikes will give you more confidence gojng into more technical sections of trail. full suspension bikes will also allow you ride longer with less fatique. they also maintain traction better allow to travel at fasters speeds especially downhill. if your riding has advanced past your low end hardtail, by all means jump on any good full suspension bike and the same trail even more.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call a Rockhopper "low end". If you want FS, go and try a few if you can. FS will surely be less tiring on extended rides on bumpy ground. Whether it is easier to clear obstacles on HT or FS depends on you and the obstacles.

My local trails have many spots where acceleration is the key to clearing them. HT has a slight advantage there.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
Yes , maybe . Depends on the obstacles . Even depends on if your going up hill or down , riding style , skill level , fitness level etc. In your case I suggest an extended demo ride to sort it out for yourself .

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
I just made the switch this season, and in a word - YES, along with everyone's bits above.

I went from an old 6700 HT to an EX8. Some things got easier, mainly because I think the bike was more forgiving of my mistakes. Not having to deal with the rebound going over obstacles was the best benefit for me, both in terms of not feeling like I want 32 sec with Tyson after a ride, and being able to focus ahead vs. dealing with where the bike wanted to go after the tail came down. (Again, my fault not the bike's)

Bottom line I guess is to not expect the bike to cure everything, but I'd say go for it. Either bike will serve you well for XC Trail, maybe up to a bit of light AM?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
FS can compensate for lack of skills and will generally make going over rough terrain easier. the biggest difference will be bombing downhill - you can be more sloppy in the lines you pick and go over things, that on a hardtail, might cause a lack of control.

will it fix your confidence? NO. you need to ride, steer your bike where you want it to go, be able to hold bars with confidence and realize that most bike wrecks arent that bad.

there are a lot of resources online and in mtb mags that go over techniques and skills - seek them out and practice. if you are a total wuss then buy some pads so you dont worry so much about falls.

·
Dirt Abuser
829 Posts
scoutcat said:
FS can compensate for lack of skills and will generally make going over rough terrain easier. the biggest difference will be bombing downhill - you can be more sloppy in the lines you pick and go over things, that on a hardtail, might cause a lack of control.

will it fix your confidence? NO. you need to ride, steer your bike where you want it to go, be able to hold bars with confidence and realize that most bike wrecks arent that bad.

there are a lot of resources online and in mtb mags that go over techniques and skills - seek them out and practice. if you are a total wuss then buy some pads so you dont worry so much about falls.
This... Plus a FS bike will be more forgiving going over logs, roots when your rear tire hits the obstacle. So in a sense, it will make it easier compared to a hardtail. (The hardtail will bounce up quite a bit when your rear tire hits the object at speed).

The FSR is a nice bike...

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
I think it's more about finding a bike fit / geometry that makes you comfortable with obstacles and riding them. In my case, I can ride my rigid bike over stuff I'd never try on my FS bike.

·
TRANCER
2,755 Posts
nachomc said:
I think it's more about finding a bike fit / geometry that makes you comfortable with obstacles and riding them. In my case, I can ride my rigid bike over stuff I'd never try on my FS bike.
Wow ! Really ? Like what for example ?

·
Bike Geek
420 Posts
It did for me. Made me a more confident rider specially on techy stuff. I started riding faster on rough sections & i'm not as beat up after rides as compared to when i was on my HT.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
skyliner1004 said:
great, now i just need to sell my Size Small (15) Rockhopper SL Pro that i barely rode. $1300 anyone?
i'm in NYC
You probably won't get more than $1000 for a bike that cost $1500 new. Also, if you're going to get a Fuel, get the Fuel EX 8, not the EX 7. My buddy that I ride with most of the time has a 2010 Stumpjumper FSR Comp, I have a 2010 Fuel EX 8. Both awesome bikes, you won't be disappointed with either one.

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Try a FS bike out before you go selling off a perfectly good bike. We're talking personal preference here and I think there's a lot of merit in learning to conquer these things on the bike you have. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Rockhopper that would cause you to not be able to clean those obstacles. If you think you would feel more confident, then go with a FS rig, otherwise keep practicing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Honestly, you have a very nice bike. if there are sections that you can't ride it's about skill, not what's under you. getting some suspension in the back may be nice on choppy stuff but it won't teach you to handle any better and you'll just be using that rear shock as a crutch. riding a hardtail will teach you how to shift your weight to clear obstacles, how to land jumps and drops smoothly, and how to pick the best lines through rough sections because you have to...you don't have anything to fix the mistakes you make other than to learn from them and not do it next time. I'm not saying a full sus rig is bad, but it doesn't sound like you've even given your current ride a chance. I see guys on my local trails all the time riding huge fs bikes that are completely out of their element and I can't help but wonder why when I've never even had the thought that some rear travel would be nice.

I say keep the rockhopper. learn to soak up bumps with your knees, get your weight back on the downhills, learn proper jumping technique, and learn to "throw" yourself and the bike over uphill obstacles, you don't always have to pedal them. When you can do all of this without any problems and if you still want a full sus bike after that, go ahead and get one.

·
Go SOLAR...
1,077 Posts
Really words cannot describe the diff between HT and FS...if you have the budget, go get one. Trek, spesh are very good..hard to beat either for the price.

Your first ride out you will laugh at yourself and ask...why did I ride a HT again?

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
larlev said:
Your first ride out you will laugh at yourself and ask...why did I ride a HT again?
Because it suits the kind of riding you like to do? Because it is great fun?

My FS bike is gathering dust in the corner...

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
perttime said:
Because it suits the kind of riding you like to do? Because it is great fun?

My FS bike is gathering dust in the corner...
I haven't touched my FS bike in months :eek: I'm tempted to sell it to build up a rigid geared bike :eek:

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
My F/S is not getting a lot of love since I got back on a Hardtail . Horses for courses .

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
AZ.MTNS said:
My F/S is not getting a lot of love since I got back on a Hardtail . Horses for courses .
You guys are making me feel bad, I finally am able to afford a new, rad full suspension rig after 4 years being on a hardtail and now it's not cool to have a FS? I can't do anything right! :D

Doesn't matter what you ride, just ride a bike!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts