Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Jumper
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.mtbracenews.com/2010/01/usa-cycling-announces-sea-otter-and.html

I was wondering if Haro will have a booth this year at Lance's Ranch? I was at the 1st race lance held and it was a real success. Only thing was that when I went by all the booths, Haro was nowhere around. There were lots of other vendors, I.E. Trek, Specialized, Rockshox, Fox, etc etc, but no Haro. How bout it Jill:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Probably not...it's a long way to go for just a day.

Do you feel that the people attending were more than just racers? Did the event have a "fesitval" feel to it? We're really not targeting racers anylonger, so it doesn't make sense for us to attend events that are mainly made up of racers.

We will be attending Sea Otter again this year since there's a great demo component to that event and it draws more than just the people racing the event.

Keep the suggestions coming...I'm open to events we should attend!

·
Jumper
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definately not just racers. There were approx 700 racers and total crowd attending was about 2K. What drew lots of people was the fact that Lance was hosting this first race on his private ranch and put himself in the race. Due to the success of the event, they are estimating 4-5K people on this next event in May. The pre ride is open to all levels.
I guess that is a long way for just one day. In situations such as this, one idea may be to ship some demo bikes to one of the local Haro Dealers and have them out there on your behalf. Probably legal red tape but just a thought.

·
Jumper
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as the festival feel goes, they did have some things for the kids along with some music,Texas BBQ, hot dogs, burgers, etc. They plan on expanding the next one.

·
Registered
190 Posts
downhilljill said:
Probably not...it's a long way to go for just a day.

Do you feel that the people attending were more than just racers? Did the event have a "fesitval" feel to it? ......... Keep the suggestions coming...I'm open to events we should attend!
I think having some of your regional sales reps attend a few of these "festival" events each year would go a long way to getting the brand out in the public eye. I am sure we are not much different than other regions, but the "fat tire festival" weekend family events are great places to set up a popup tent and have a few bikes out for short demo rides. As you say many of the reps are not using their samples as demos, so what are they for... a perk for their private stable to be shared w/ friends?? I work at the Univ Vet School and have pharmaceutical reps visit me all the time, take me to lunch, give me handouts for my students, etc. My LBS tells me his Haro/Masi rep might make down once a year (in the middle of the week, during the middle of the day when no customers are around). Its kind of hard to get the brand out if your reps are not doing anything to generate excitement among potential consumers. You are right, Trek and Specialized don't have to work and can dictate how much floor space is given to their products, because they (Trek) have Lance riding their bike on TV and the brand prominetly displayed on every poster for sale on the internet. Maybe I can get you to hook me up with a trailer full of bikes to drag around TN-VA-KY once I retire and my son leaves home to go do his thing. I am willing to bet that a couple of fan fests each month would generate enough sales volume to make it worth someone's time to hang out and talk bikes for an afternoon.

Thanks for the presence on this board. Good luck and keep plugging away.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
downhilljillbKeep the suggestions coming...I'm open to events we should attend![/QUOTE said:
DH baby just look at the early 2000's MK Team Haro :cornut: :cornut: Real riders ride DH and it's gonna come back harder for '10 & "11. Slop Style is cool, I like Cam great kid with awesome family, but it's over sized BMX to me. Slop Style will never die it's a great spectator event because you can see the start to finish with heart pounding excitement while sitting in your lounge chair in one spot. DH gets lost if your a spectator because you have to hike the course and it's steep, yaa work for the thrills of the course. :drumroll:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts