Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I have saved weight on every place possible on my foes fxr, from the big things like the wheels to death of a thousand cuts everywhere.
The only place left are the brakes but I'm worried that going from my trusty xt785s to xtrs will be too much of a shock. Are the xtr9000s really weaker to the point that it will do my head in?
Kes

·
ACHOO
4,496 Posts
I hear you re the "thousand cuts" - never seems to end in WW land.

Re the brakes, I've actually moved in the opposite direction, which is weird for me. Was running XTR for a couple of seasons, and found I was always on the edge of braking, even moving up to 180mm rotors (with adapter), which isn't exactly a WW thing to do. Decided to go with Magura MT5 with their double-pistons.

Overkill? Probably. WW? No way. Braking power? Holy crap! A lot less stress and I'm probably a bit faster.

This is a long-winded way of saying you might want to stick with the XTs if you're happy. I no longer go hardcore WW on brakes, and tires (which is a separate thread).

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I hear you re the "thousand cuts" - never seems to end in WW land.

Re the brakes, I've actually moved in the opposite direction, which is weird for me. Was running XTR for a couple of seasons, and found I was always on the edge of braking, even moving up to 180mm rotors (with adapter), which isn't exactly a WW thing to do. Decided to go with Magura MT5 with their double-pistons.

Overkill? Probably. WW? No way. Braking power? Holy crap! A lot less stress and I'm probably a bit faster.

This is a long-winded way of saying you might want to stick with the XTs if you're happy. I no longer go hardcore WW on brakes, and tires (which is a separate thread).
Been awhile Phlegm. Those MT5's de-WWed you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your interest. I still can't decide what to do! I wish I had access to a bike with the xtr brakes on it to try. I can't use xtr9100 bakes as they don't work with gripshift (as well as the cost!)
Anyone out there with m9000 brakes want to chip in?
Thanks
Kes

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,135 Posts
I race the M9000s, been through hundred mile races, long and short descents, steep stuff, etc. I've been impressed by their heat resistance using various icetech rotors, but not their power. IME, they fall significantly short of something like the 785/8000/7000. IMO, these would be over-taxed on a gravity-orientated bike. The big difference is the servo wave, but it's a small weight penalty to go with something like the M8000.

This is one area though that I do not try to save too much weight. IME, those icetech rotors are the real deal and do dissipate a significant amount of heat. During long or very steep descents, this is a must for me. I could go with some ashima rotors to save some significant weight, but I have baked the hell out of those during a few downhills and apart from use on my winter fatbikes, I would never run them for the terrain I ride during the summer. There's also a winter fat-bike downhill event at the local resort, for that, I have to take the ashimas off and put real rotors on. The bike I use for that also has M9000s, but the braking requirement is nowhere near the same 99.9% of the time. I would prioritize power and braking ability first, weight second. So I take a bit of a "hit" with the icetech (and jagwire copies) rotors weight-wise. I bet there is plenty of weight to be saved on your bike that will more than make up for the difference of M9000s, like front carbon layup vs. rear layup and choice of spokes/nipples for the front vs. rear, or rear hub, etc...

Shimano is near the bottom of my list these days for brakes though, with no seal kits available from Shimano, they expect you to just trash the brakes and wait till they suddenly fail some day. They also suffer from the issue where when you don't use them for a few weeks, the caliper piston seeps some fluid and contaminates the pads. The wandering-bite-point issue is not as bad as with my XTs. Once I run out of spares, I'll probably be back to Hope or Formula. There's a good mega-thread on brakes on Ridemonkey to explain some of these issues further.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Has anyone ever tried those kcnc x7 brakes? There are some sweet deals available for them now and they are lighter than xtr.
Or are they out-dated now?
Kes

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.