Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok really want to build up my upper body a little, and thinking of using creatine to help a little. Been lots of threads about creatine and if it can help your cycling, based on some threads I read I am pretty sure it does not etc. thing is will it hamper my preformance, will I get slower?

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
I took creatine a couple years ago. I found it worked for me(to get stronger), but I had alot of hamstring cramping that summer. When I stopped using the creatine the cramping went away. I would give it a try though, it could be just me.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Creatine experience

I don't think creatine is your best alternative for strength gains. The size and strength you normally gain while cycling creatine is easily lost. If you are looking for more sustainable gains your best bet is solid real food with an emphasis on complex proteins like red meat and fish. Creatine volumizes the water in the muscle cells. Hopefully helping you to recover faster. Unfortunately for bikers. We usually fell this volumization on hard climbs and anaerobic times on the bike. What happens is you get the dreaded pump. Where your muscles feel engorged with blood. For endurance athletes this is not what you want to have happen. It is opposite from the aerobic endurance you are shooting for. Plus creatine really dehydrates you. If you want to try it for yourself my suggeston is 5 grams of powdered creatine mixed with 5 grams of glutamine also mixed with gatorade or coolaid. Do this twice a day for 2 weeks and then cut back to one serving per day. Creatine should be cycled for 21 days then 7 days off. Good Luck!!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Creatine, used correctly, will yeild maximum exertion strenght gains of 5-10%. It will also make you gain 5-10 pounds depending on your body type. About 85% of this gain will be extra water stored in the muscle cells, which is what allows them to do more work.

Think about it this way: Will taking along an extra 1/2 gallon of water with you on every ride slow you down. Of course.
Add to that the cramping experienced by many users, and I would say that while it might be an ok offseason alternative if you are really looking to bulk up, I wouldn't think it has any place in on season training.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
9.8m/s/s said:
Creatine, used correctly, will yeild maximum exertion strenght gains of 5-10%. It will also make you gain 5-10 pounds depending on your body type. About 85% of this gain will be extra water stored in the muscle cells, which is what allows them to do more work.

Think about it this way: Will taking along an extra 1/2 gallon of water with you on every ride slow you down. Of course.
Add to that the cramping experienced by many users, and I would say that while it might be an ok offseason alternative if you are really looking to bulk up, I wouldn't think it has any place in on season training.
Thanks, great reply, no creatine then for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts