Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ouch, I am hot!
4,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When the weather is nice, we have been leaving our 20 lb. pug in the yard for up to a few hours. We live on the Northern Preserve. It came to me that a G. Horned owl, or some other local bird of prey could attack him? Thoughts/advice?

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,275 Posts
I don't see too many owls flying around in the daytime.

·
Registered
273 Posts
A family friend let his well under 10 pound poodle into the back yard one early morning to relieve itself. Being a retired Navy-man, he was up just before day-break having a cup of coffee, smoking a cigarette and leaning in the doorway of the slding-glass door that opened up to the back yard of his New Mexico home.

As he took drag on his cigarette, he watched the dog squat down to do it's business when an owl quickly appeard, landed on the animal and took off with it firmly in it's talons...all without a sound.

When my dad asked what he did next. He said "I finished my cigarette, slid the glass door closed, walked up to the wife who was in the kitchen and said 'I just saw the damnedest thing...'"

·
Registered
260 Posts
Konish said:
A family friend let his well under 10 pound poodle into the back yard one early morning to relieve itself. Being a retired Navy-man, he was up just before day-break having a cup of coffee, smoking a cigarette and leaning in the doorway of the slding-glass door that opened up to the back yard of his New Mexico home.

As he took drag on his cigarette, he watched the dog squat down to do it's business when an owl quickly appeared, landed on the animal and took off with it firmly in it's talons...all without a sound.

When my dad asked what he did next. He said "I finished my cigarette, slid the glass door closed, walked up to the wife who was in the kitchen and said 'I just saw the damnedest thing...'"
Brilliant.

·
I am Walt
6,393 Posts
Konish said:

As he took drag on his cigarette, he watched the dog squat down to do it's business when an owl quickly appeard, landed on the animal and took off with it firmly in it's talons...all without a sound.

LMAO...classic!

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
African or European?

Dirdir said:
When the weather is nice, we have been leaving our 20 lb. pug in the yard for up to a few hours. We live on the Northern Preserve. It came to me that a G. Horned owl, or some other local bird of prey could attack him? Thoughts/advice?
It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios!

Unless you have a population of Harris's Hawks, the pudgy pug shouldn't be 'whisked off to dinner'.

·
Hairshirt Rider
1,881 Posts
Dirdir said:
Yes, if the opportunity presents itself I believe a big bird would give it a try.

When I lived in AZ my buddy and I watched a big owl stalk his smallish terrier in the back yard in the middle of the day. He flew from palm tree to palm tree eye balling the dog. He seemed pretty exited and we figured it would only be a matter of time before he swooped in and tried to carry the little feller off. Definitely not the behavior we've expected from a nocturnal hunter. Unless accompanied by his humans, he was kept indoors after that.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Hungry and with an opportunity you never know what could happen. I did noticed the other day an owl in the tree out front when getting ready for a ride from your house. Odds would be pretty low of an attack but Winston is cool and I would hate to hear he was dinner!

·
livin' the dream......
1,969 Posts
Not sure if a GH Owl, which only weigh 2-4 lbs despite thier size could fly off with the 20 lb pug. Not saying it is impossible, but I don't think it is probable. I have 2 GH Owls that live in my neighbors Mesquite tree. They are cool birds!

·
wowarizona.com
863 Posts
Too heavy!!!

trb2929 said:
Hungry and with an opportunity you never know what could happen. I did noticed the other day an owl in the tree out front when getting ready for a ride from your house. Odds would be pretty low of an attack but Winston is cool and I would hate to hear he was dinner!
An owl can't lift twenty pounds.

I said beware of Harris's because they cooperatively hunt. While they wouldn't carry lil' Winston off to a nice setting for dinner, they would have no problem eating him on the spot. Harris's are matriarchal and momma ALWAYS eats first…

It's not a question of where he grips it! It's a simple question of weight ratios!

·
Registered
9,211 Posts
Dirdir said:
ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.