Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put a zip tie on my fork stantion(inner tube), will it do any damage? My stantions are black so I thikn it might rub some black off, but my main concern is damaging it.

Thanks
 

· Registered
Joined
·
254 Posts
what are you zip tieing to the stanchions? are you just doin it to measure fork travel? id say its cool unless you are trying to ziptie the front break cable to the stanchion. but i see alot of people do it just to see how much travel they use up.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
The inner tube? Do you mean the tube which slides into the lower half of a (non-inverted) fork? Scratching that one is not good because it could eventually cause the fork to leak. If you attach the zip-tie to the lower, 'outside' part of the fork, then no problem. I have done the latter and only experienced some harmless paint scuff.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
I always thought that there wasn't supposed to be anything at all touching the stanchions. On my DJ3 there is a sticker that says do not let cables rest on stanchions or crowns. So I just kinda figured it was frowned upon to have anything touching them.
 
G

·
BascoRider said:
I always thought that there wasn't supposed to be anything at all touching the stanchions. On my DJ3 there is a sticker that says do not let cables rest on stanchions or crowns. So I just kinda figured it was frowned upon to have anything touching them.
Becuase cables will eat away at the coating on the stanchions, which is not good...
They sure do a good job at eating frame paint, or crown metal, but for some reason just slide over electrical tape
 

· noMAD man
Joined
·
12,164 Posts
Yeah, this can happen.

watermoccasin said:
No but it will F* up your seal if you bottom the fork. Just use the dust on the stanchion to see how much travel you're getting. If you're not using all your travel, tune the fork.
Watermoccasin's comment is true on forks that take the fork seal to the extreme limit of the exposed stanchion. A couple of my Marz 6" forks get really close. If I used the more common 4-5mm width sized zip tie on these, it could very possibly end up damaging the dust and oil seal. I use a very thin, small one on these forks. My Van 36, on the other hand, has a good deal of room left in this area. Just make sure your fork has enough room to run a zip tie under full compression if you choose to do so. Stanchion wear shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have the zip tie tightened down like SMT's belt.
 

· rollin
Joined
·
2,601 Posts
BascoRider said:
On my DJ3 there is a sticker that says do not let cables rest on stanchions or crowns.
that sticker is for liability. potentially, the cable could act like a saw and cut into the crown or stantion over time, creating a weak spot that could break. that's why that sticker is thick.
 
G

·
On my JRT, the seal comes exactly 1mm away from hitting the lower crown..... I cant use a ziptie or they will hit, causing potential for some damage..
 

· Takw/agranofsalt
Joined
·
3,515 Posts
TNC said:
Watermoccasin's comment is true on forks that take the fork seal to the extreme limit of the exposed stanchion. A couple of my Marz 6" forks get really close. If I used the more common 4-5mm width sized zip tie on these, it could very possibly end up damaging the dust and oil seal. I use a very thin, small one on these forks. My Van 36, on the other hand, has a good deal of room left in this area. Just make sure your fork has enough room to run a zip tie under full compression if you choose to do so. Stanchion wear shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't have the zip tie tightened down like SMT's belt.
I suppose you could get tricky and disassemble the fork and put a rubber o-ring on the stanchion before you put it back together but I like the dust idea. I'm always pointing out my riding buddies "dust rings" when they use full travel. :D
 

· Meh.
Joined
·
17,470 Posts
watermoccasin said:
No but it will F* up your seal if you bottom the fork. Just use the dust on the stanchion to see how much travel you're getting. If you're not using all your travel, tune the fork.
Most forks have a little extra stanchion to them, but it is true with some forks that it can mess up the seal.
 

· ride hard take risks
Joined
·
25,256 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
Run the house from the front between the stanchions, and clip it in, or run it from the front between the lowers and zip tie it to the arch.
The house has been rerouted after i noticed the damage but yes the house still needs to be routed properly. Now you should understand why im ready to swap. :madman::rolleyes::eekster::madmax:
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top