Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a XTR cassette with its Ti small cogs more durable than a XT? Or, is the *only* reason to go XTR the lighter weight?

·
Want to vent?
654 Posts
The XTR cassette will not pay for itself unless you make it get off its lazy butt and go get a job!!!

And its more a weight thing in my opinion.....I have never been able to justify the cash for XTR over XT or SRAM....and they never had the right gearing available when i was looking....11-32.....they do now though

·
Registered
7,247 Posts
it will pay for itself as much...

as any titanium or carbon fiber part on your bike that is only meant to reduce weight... aka- bling factor...

·
ಠ_ಠ
3,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Right, the reason I ask is because I know some people use Ti chainrings because they are much more durable. Wouldn't the same hold true for the XTR cassette?

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
dulyebr said:
Right, the reason I ask is because I know some people use Ti chainrings because they are much more durable. Wouldn't the same hold true for the XTR cassette?
The Ti chainrings are replacing aluminum ones. When Ti is used in a cassette, it's replacing hardened steel.

When referring to durability in cogs and chainrings, the degree of hardness usually wins. In most cases, longevity in cogs goes from shortest to longest --> Aluminum, Titanium, Steel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts