Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to purchase a beefy set of tires and rims for ski lift DH riding.

If I get a wider rim will that change the overall width of the tires?

thanks
STL
 

·
I dig trails!
Joined
·
5,575 Posts
SingleTrackLovr said:
I want to purchase a beefy set of tires and rims for ski lift DH riding.

If I get a wider rim will that change the overall width of the tires?

thanks
STL
A wider rim will increase the volume and casing width of a tire, but won't really change the tread width.

But it will change the carcass and tread shape as the tread can be more squared (flatter) on a wider rim vs. more rounded on a smaller rim.

P
 

·
Slow Patrol
Joined
·
438 Posts
Agreed.

Of course this is a personal prefernece but I like a flatter/square profile so that when you lean the bike it presses the cornering knobs into the ground harder than a more round profile where you have to really lean just to get them to touch the ground.
 

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for taking time to answer my question.

Squaring the edge does sound like an advantage I did not think of.

I'm a clyde (206#) and want more strength both for my weight and the DH turns.
I am also hoping it will help prevent a taco event when I get the front wheel sideways.
Note I said when not if, heehee.

My XC bike (a K2 Attack frame w/Nixon 145 fork) has a 2.35" recommended tire width limit and I am concerned a 2.35 installed on a wider rim might rub.

STL
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
48,237 Posts
SingleTrackLovr said:
Thanks everyone for taking time to answer my question.

Squaring the edge does sound like an advantage I did not think of.

I'm a clyde (206#) and want more strength both for my weight and the DH turns.
I am also hoping it will help prevent a taco event when I get the front wheel sideways.
Note I said when not if, heehee.

My XC bike (a K2 Attack frame w/Nixon 145 fork) has a 2.35" recommended tire width limit and I am concerned a 2.35 installed on a wider rim might rub.

STL
Depends on the specific 2.35" tire. A look at the main spec charts on my tire site will show you they vary greatly.
 

·
ColoradoCoolBreeze
Joined
·
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shiggy said:
Depends on the specific 2.35" tire. A look at the main spec charts on my tire site will show you they vary greatly.
Yeah, I noticed that when I checked out your site. Good info in there thanks for the link.

It seems tire vendors don't have a standard to measure by.
Heck, we give them inches and mm to tell us how wide it is and they still can't get it right.

STL
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top