Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put 650b on my Cube stereo. Initially there was about 4mm clearence.
But after 3 weeks the tire have expanded, and now there is only about 1mm clearance:nono:
The tire is a 650b racing Ralph 2.25" on a EQ 27 rim 19,3mm internal width.

Im wondering if putting the same tire on a Pacenti TL 28 rim 23mm internal width, wil make the tire lower??

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
it should square it up a bit. it may get a little lower but that lost height will show up somewhere else.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
then it is worth a shot. probably not going to give you too much more clearance though, i would probably just get a smaller tire.

·
Arnborg strik
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only smaller tire i can think off is a 2.0" Quasi Moto .But here in Europe they seem to be sold out :madman:

·
Stubby-legged
1,364 Posts
When going to a wider rim on my fatbike, the tire got taller. The sidewalls "standup" in a more vertical position. Seems like the same would happen with other tires.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
When going to a wider rim on my fatbike, the tire got taller. The sidewalls "standup" in a more vertical position. Seems like the same would happen with other tires.
Agreed. I had posted this observation previously when going from a 28mm Blunt to 35mm P35 front rim. A new Neo-moto 2.3 tire became about 1 - 2mm taller in radius. I guess the middle of the tire is flatter in profile and can grow in diameter slightly. This tire's side knobs are spread no wider, slightly narrower if anything, having less flair. The wider sidewall allows much more air volume and lower pressures to make about the same bump compliance.

There may have been some tire size variation. But every new tire is taller on the P35 than the previous new tires on the much narrower Blunt rim. My Lyrik fork's arch was already closer than a Fox and the difference was visibly closer with the wider rim.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I have put 650b on my Cube stereo. Initially there was about 4mm clearence.
But after 3 weeks the tire have expanded, and now there is only about 1mm clearance:nono:
The tire is a 650b racing Ralph 2.25" on a EQ 27 rim 19,3mm internal width.

Im wondering if putting the same tire on a Pacenti TL 28 rim 23mm internal width, wil make the tire lower??
I doubt it will make more than a 1mm difference. Probably less.

Effect of Rim Width on Tire Width (includes casing ht changes)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts